Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Ping Mounting — Parallax Forums

Ping Mounting

ajwardajward Posts: 1,130
edited 2012-07-18 18:31 in Accessories
Hey All...

I was wondering how close to the "ground" the ping could be mounted? I mean, on the Boe Bot the sensor is about 4-1/2 inches high. If operated in the same manner... rotating back and forth to detect distance, about how low could it be mounted before picking up spurious returns from the ground. I think it might depend on the surface(?), but just looking for a ballpark figure.

Many thanks!!!!

Amanda

Comments

• Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2012-07-18 07:15
    From my limited experience with ultrasound sensors, I'd say this would depend a lot on the surface of the floor.

A hard surface wont return an echo from a shallow angle so if the robot will be only used on a hard surface floor then you could mount the Ping as low as you'd like. Other flooring is likely return an echo.

I think the Pin mounting bracket for the BOE-Bot holds the Ping relatively high to keep it from getting returns from the floor. I don't think you'd be able to mount a Ping much lower than this height when using it on surfaces likely to return an echo.

Some ultrasound sensors (MaxBotic) have narrower beams and would be able to be mounted closer to the floor. You could also angle the Ping upward to avoid floor echos, if you wanted to mount it lower than normal.
  • ajwardajward Posts: 1,130
    edited 2012-07-18 18:31
    @Duane...

Yeah, that's pretty much what I thought. I don't have a specific plan just yet, kinda scribbling on graph paper.

Thanks,

Amanda