Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Laser Scanners — Parallax Forums

Laser Scanners

John BoardJohn Board Posts: 371
edited 2012-07-17 01:39 in Accessories
G'day,

Just a quick question, does anyone know of any laser scanner (not rangefinder units) that are avaliable for hobby robotics?

Thanks,

John

Comments

• Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2012-07-16 19:53
    What's the app? Barcodes, or something else? What kind of resolution do you need?

-Phil
  • WBA ConsultingWBA Consulting Posts: 2,933
    edited 2012-07-16 21:28
    If you are talking barcode, I have several Symbol ls-1220 scan engines that dump rs-232. If you only need 1 or 2, I could sell them.
  • Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2012-07-16 22:34
    This is my bet of what is meant by a "laser scanner".

http://www.robotshop.com/hokuyo-urg-04lx-laser-rangefinder-2.html/

I've heard the Neato robot vacuums have a nice little range finder on them. Of course Parallax sells a Laser Range Finder too but I doubt it would clasify as a "laser scanner".

I've purchased a barcode reader off of ebay for about $30 which works very well with the Prop (in serial mode). It works better than the $100 barcode reader SparkFun sells.

Edit: How did I miss "not rangefinder units" in the original post? I guess I lost that bet. I suppose a laser printer could qualify as a "laser scanner".
  • JLockeJLocke Posts: 354
    edited 2012-07-17 01:10
    I originally thought he was maybe looking for something to do 3D scanning, but I'm not sure how that would apply to robotics.
  • John BoardJohn Board Posts: 371
    edited 2012-07-17 01:26
    Duane Degn got what I was after - A 2D/3D Mapping kind of laser scanner.

More later! Dinner time at the moment.
  • John BoardJohn Board Posts: 371
    edited 2012-07-17 01:39
    Okay, the idea is, a robotic base that can move around our yard without hitting objects - Cloths line, House, Shed, stray chickens, nusiance dogs.... I'm thinking of a system like a "Ping" sensor that's on a turret - That spins really fast. So I can then make a 2d map of what objects there are around the robot. Just imagine what you could do with that info!