Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Code request for developers: SpO2 Sensors - pulse oximetry — Parallax Forums

Code request for developers: SpO2 Sensors - pulse oximetry

Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,389
edited 2012-07-14 08:07 in General Discussion
Hey all,

We have an upcoming project where we will be running a medical simulation application design contest in conjunction with CMU and the US Army. As part of this effort we will be assembling a really interesting medical design application kit consisting of several sensors, interface devices, etc. Everybody will be able to get this kit, maybe even for free if you are participating in the contest.

One of the sensors we're looking at are some Chinese-manufactured saturated oxygen (SpO2) pulse oximetry sensors. The specific model numbers are: P3325A (ear) and P9325A (finger). Here's what I'd like to do:
  1. Locate a qualified person to figure out the interface (could be super simple like a pulse or complex with analog and frequencies - I don't know!).
  2. I will send you the two sensors.
  3. Write BS2, Propeller (Spin and C) code for interfacing this sensor with PST or debug terminal. Code standards are fairly high but not unreasonable - mimic well-accepted efforts you've seen here from Jon Williams, Phil Pilgrim, Andy Lindsay, Gordon McComb and others.
If you are interested in this task please post here and I'll pick somebody out by the end of today. In exchange for your help I'll provide whatever is of interest to you: recognition, $250 in Parallax hardware, a PropBOE, or anything else of the same.

We have a separate effort underway to create our own DIY SpO2 sensor but I am not certain we will have success or not at this stage, or if it is even necessary considering the low cost of these sensors @$25 each.

Our team is fully booked right now with obligations in the office and around the country, so we appreciate the help.

Thanks,

Ken Gracey

SPO2 Sensors.jpg
1024 x 765 - 102K

Comments

• Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2012-07-09 08:53
    Ken,

I'm interested in this project.

I haven't used C with the Prop yet but I used to write a lot of C code for the PC and I've used C with other microcontrollers so I don't think I'll have trouble using C on the Prop.
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,256
    edited 2012-07-09 09:04
    I knew Duane would throw his hat in the ring. You go, Boy!
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,389
    edited 2012-07-09 09:11
    Duane,

I'd be pleased to work with you on this project, so I'll take the offer now and run with it. You're an active guy on the forums and I know you can seek help as you need it.

Jim Carey is sending you the sensors today along with an extra PropBOE. If you could get this accomplished in the next two weeks I'd be happy. Like I said, it could be a super easy or complex project - I have no time to look at data sheets yet. And if they require some kind of calibration that's just not practical let us know along the way.

Thanks,

Ken Gracey
  • stamptrolstamptrol Posts: 1,731
    edited 2012-07-09 09:33
    Hi Ken,

If you're looking for a second developer, I'd be happy to help.

Tom Sisk
    edited 2012-07-09 09:53
    Ken,

Thanks. This should be fun.

I'll download Simple IDE and get familiar with C on the Prop. I've been meaning to learn to use C on the Prop for a while. This is a good reason to finally get going with it.
    edited 2012-07-13 23:12
    I've started a thread in the Projects Forum about my attempt to interface with these sensors.
  • Peter KG6LSEPeter KG6LSE Posts: 1,383
    edited 2012-07-14 08:07
    HAHAH I was on wiki ALL last night up ( no sleep knee pain ) I was reading up on Pulse Ox .. Ken you and I chatted about them a while back .. And i was at wallgreeens a while back picking up my pain pills and saw them for like 33 USD I was thinkng Man that is cheap. Not much to them..

I mean it appears to be a LED and a photodiode .. and BTW the WII will have them too in a few months !
    I dont know if it will be in to the WIImote or be a independent Blue tooth devics .. the latter might be cool for desktop intergration .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pulse_ox

the heck with it .. I want to crack one open . and I Own a ECG to boot ( kinda fascinated by BioMed electronics )

As soon as I can get a ride Ill pick one up .... I have unused Bday money to play with and 30 bucks to tinker is not bad..

Attachment not found.

Ill look for one like this where I can make a hack and read

If I get Real lucky I might find a SPI or what not pad on them ....... they do run a micon after all ,,

nothing to do for 5 weeks .... Its time to tinker !!!

Ken reading more ..Ill bet this will need some design to take those readings from the bare photo detector and give a reading ......... how many pins are there on the ones you have.....
    Peter...