Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Problem with Xbee usb xplorer board — Parallax Forums

Problem with Xbee usb xplorer board

edited 2012-07-08 09:10 in Accessories
I bought xbee xplorer board. when i am connecting it to the laptop, i am not getting any thing in the system.
System is not giving any notifications about that board. What is the problem? is it the problem of board

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2012-07-08 08:42
    The xBee Explorer board is a SparkFun product. Have you contacted them about it?

This board is very similar to the USB xBee board that Parallax makes and sells. Like Parallax's, it uses an FTDI chip to interface to USB. Have you downloaded and installed the FTDI drivers for your laptop? They're available from FTDI's website as VCP drivers. You should also configure your xBee using Digi's X-CTU configuration utility. SparkFun has links to these on their product page.

You might have a look at Parallax's xBee information webpage and download their "Getting Started with XBee RF Modules" tutorial.
  • edited 2012-07-08 08:47
    actually i bought it from basha technology. does it require ftdi drivers? Can you tell me how to install those drivers in windows 7 OS?
  • edited 2012-07-08 08:56
    I want to connect the xbee module to AT89C52 micro controller. How can I make the connections? Does this require any additional devices
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2012-07-08 09:10
    Read the description of the product on Basha Technology's website. They say that you need to use FTDI's drivers. Use their links for FTDI's drivers and Digi's X-CTU utility. Both come with Windows installers.

We can't help you with your AT89C52. This is a Parallax support website and you're not using either Parallax's xBee adapters nor one of their microcontrollers. Read Parallax's tutorial mentioned in post #2. Some of the material there applies to pretty much any microcontroller. The xBee is a 3.3V device. Depending on whether your microcontroller uses 5V or 3.3V, you may need some voltage translation circuitry. Parallax and SparkFun both sell xBee adapters that will do the voltage translation for you if you need it.

The minimum connections needed for xBee include 3.3V regulated power and ground along with one signal line (I/O pin) each for transmitting to the xBee and receiving from the xBee. Some microcontrollers require that you use specific I/O pins for serial I/O and some (like Parallax's Stamps and Propeller) do not.