Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
IR Remote Test — Parallax Forums

IR Remote Test

NWCCTVNWCCTV Posts: 3,629
edited 2012-07-11 11:18 in Accessories
I have a ton of universal remotes lying around. I also have a couple unused IR Receivers. What I would like to know is if anyone has a simple test circuit so I can test if any of my remotes are capable of controlling my BoeBot and other projects. All I need is something simple that would turn on/off an LED so I know if the remote is working or not. Thanks if you can help.

Comments

• Ron CzapalaRon Czapala Posts: 2,418
    edited 2012-07-04 06:01
    If you just want to see if a remote is emitting a beam, use a digital camera. The camera's sensor will pickup the IR wavelength and you can see it on the LCD.
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,255
    edited 2012-07-04 12:13
  • WhitWhit Posts: 4,191
    edited 2012-07-04 13:32
    Nice find from the past erco! Now saved on my computer... Of course I could always use my old blue Scribbler and and a little code written by a friend.
    edited 2012-07-04 16:29
    IMHO the world has gone mad for bluetooth & 433 mhz tranceivers. It's refreshing to see that a few people are still interested in using IR!
    edited 2012-07-10 13:39
  • GordonMcCombGordonMcComb Posts: 3,366
    edited 2012-07-11 11:18
    To find out if your remotes and receivers are compatible, just wire up the receiver and aim a remote at it. The output of the receiver will toggle rapidly if it can detect the signal. Try different distances. A remote that's outputting at 36 kHz won't have as good a range if the receiver is tuned to 40-42 kHz.

Most universal remotes can mimic Sony, NEC, and other protocols. The Sony protocol is actually one that isn't well supported in all receivers, due to its signal pattern. So try the code combination for a Panasonic or other TV or VCR. You should find something that works.

Actually decoding the stream on your MCU, the make/model of which you don't mention, is the tougher question. Parallax now supports BOE-Bots with a BS2, Propeller, or even Arduino.

-- Gordon