Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Robot tire sources — Parallax Forums

Robot tire sources

photomankcphotomankc Posts: 943
edited 2012-07-12 12:53 in Robotics
Hey guys,

Are there any good suggestions on suppliers for robot tires minus the wheels? I am planning to generate my own AL wheels as I am starting to see that the weight is a bit much now for those thin Pololu wheels as was predicted. Since the bolt pattern is set in the pulley I will just go ahead and make the new ones but I'd like to find some tires that have a similar outside diameter 3.5"

I find lots of wheels with the tire molded on but not a lot of just tires.

Comments

• WhitWhit Posts: 4,191
    edited 2012-07-03 19:29
    I am not sure exactly what you are looking for, but Solarbotics has some different types.

The old Chi Bot and even the Scribbler and S2 use "O" rings in a groove. Might work for you and they are available in all sorts of sizes.

I you are looking for real tires, Wheel chair and scooter tires might be a direction.
  • photomankcphotomankc Posts: 943
    edited 2012-07-03 19:54
    Need something like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lego-EXTRA-LARGE-Tires-Wheels-Technic-Robot-RCX-NXT-Mindstorms-Tyre-Rim-Car-/251092000394?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a763fde8a

If possible I want just the tire and not the wheel/hub/rim whatever you want to call it. These are actually just about perfect and I can just rip the tire off and make a new wheel for it to ride on.

ETA: Kids scooter wheels look like a possible source as well.
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,256
    edited 2012-07-04 01:12
    Those look just like some stroller wheels we have. More of foamed slick plastic than grippy rubber, no traction. Verify before buying. Polyurethane scooter wheels would be much better.
    edited 2012-07-04 12:16
    erco wrote: »
    Those look just like some stroller wheels we have. More of foamed slick plastic than grippy rubber, no traction. Verify before buying. Polyurethane scooter wheels would be much better.

Vendor says they are rubber. I'm going to give these a shot and if they dont work then option 2 will be kid's scooter wheels.
  • jdoleckijdolecki Posts: 726
    edited 2012-07-08 13:52
  • Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2012-07-08 15:19
    photomankc wrote: »
    Vendor says they are rubber. I'm going to give these a shot and if they dont work then option 2 will be kid's scooter wheels.

Have you looked at BrickLink for Lego parts?

I think this page has the same wheel.

http://www.bricklink.com/search.asp?pg=11&q=tire+motorcycle+wheel&viewFrom=sf&sz=10&searchSort=P

I have lots of Lego wheels myself. I think this particular one is pretty hard rubber.

In general Lego parts are good quality but many of their wheels are made more for show than for heavy duty use.
    edited 2012-07-08 19:04
    Yeah, I posted about them in my build thread. They are not quite what I expected. Hollow tire but the rubber on it is stout enough that my current weight is not squishing them much at all. They look like they may well handle all the weight I'm going to add. Not heavy-duty by any means though. One thing I noticed. My bot has much more grip. Used to just spin the wheels when it ran into something on the tile but now you hear the motors stalling so more of the motor torque is actually making it to the floor. Scooter wheels are my next stop if these won't fill the bill.

Thanks for link to the cheap source! I was thinking of experimenting with foam filling in the tires and that's cheap enough to buy a spare set to play around with.
    edited 2012-07-12 08:08
    These guys have more heavy duty stuff that I think is aimed at folks doing combat robots:

http://www.robotmarketplace.com/products/wheels_main.html

Seem like a decent source for bigger, heavier wheels.
  • Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2012-07-12 10:34
    I haven't seen Harbor Freight mentioned. They sell some pretty heavy duty wheels.
    edited 2012-07-12 11:42
    Good point. Some of them can handle several hundred pounds each easily.
  • jdoleckijdolecki Posts: 726
    edited 2012-07-12 12:53
    Harbor freight has pneumatic tires on sale for 4.99 hub and all 8 x3.5 i think

U will have to modify the hub.