Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
ODD-- PING sensor doesn't sense anything acording to debug readout — Parallax Forums

ODD-- PING sensor doesn't sense anything acording to debug readout

iloverobotsiloverobots Posts: 14
edited 2012-07-04 13:15 in Accessories
Okay so my PING)) Sensor isn't sensing anything. I've used the debugging code to see if it can see anything and it reads 000000, no matter what I do.
I have the PING Servo connected to 12, and the PING)) sensor is connected via a propeller on the servo, so it can move left and right... so It doesn't have a wire. Here are some photos.

photo.jpg
photo (1).jpg

Any help is really appreciated.
1024 x 765 - 93K
1024 x 765 - 107K

Comments

• GordonMcCombGordonMcComb Posts: 3,366
    edited 2012-07-03 17:31
    It's a bit hard to tell by the pictures, but a couple of things to keep in mind:

1. Don't connect a Ping to a servo header unless you are sure to place the jumper block in the 5V position. Otherwise you'll feed it whatever voltage you're providing to the BOE. If it's more than 6 volts, you might have fried the Ping. As it is, 6V is too much.

2. If the jumper is in the 5V position, remember it's now controlled by the three-position switch in the bottom center. Be sure to place it in position "2".

For validation, connect the Ping as shown here:

http://learn.parallax.com/KickStart/28015

which demonstrates wiring directly to power and one of the BOE's pins. Though the illustration and code is for the HomeWork board, everything is more or less the same for a BOE. Use the code on the KickStart page. It's set up for finding the Ping on pin 0.

-- Gordon
  • iloverobotsiloverobots Posts: 14
    edited 2012-07-03 18:48
    I think the problem is that pin 12 runs at zero volts and then 5 volts for a millsecond... That may be the problem.
  • JLockeJLocke Posts: 354
    edited 2012-07-03 23:57
    Okay so my PING)) Sensor isn't sensing anything. I've used the debugging code to see if it can see anything and it reads 000000, no matter what I do.
    I have the PING Servo connected to 12, and the PING)) sensor is connected via a propeller on the servo, so it can move left and right... so It doesn't have a wire. Here are some photos.

I'm a little confused about your hookup; the servo which rotates the PING)) is connected to pin 12, and the PING)) is connected to... ? Your picture doesn't show any connection to the PING)), unless you unhooked that to make the picture more clear. But then in your comment I noticed where you say "so It doesn't have a wire". Do you mean the PING)) doesn't have a wire?
  • iloverobotsiloverobots Posts: 14
    edited 2012-07-04 12:54
    Correct, only the servo that the ping is on top of is plugged into port 12. The ping)) sensor itself isn't connected to anything, but I don't see a way to connect a wire since it is placed on top of the rotating servo. I was wondering if this was the issue... What should I do?
  • John AbshierJohn Abshier Posts: 1,116
    edited 2012-07-04 13:04
    Have you read the documentation (PDF) here http://www.parallax.com/StoreSearchResults/tabid/768/List/0/SortField/4/ProductID/248/Default.aspx?txtSearch=ping+servo? That page also has code for the BASIC Stamp2

John Abshier
  • PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2012-07-04 13:15
    Roaming with PING should tell you how to tie everything together:

RoamingWithPING-Simple-V1.0.zip

And,yes you have to have the PING connected to the Basic Stamp, along with the servo, to make it work.

Another good link:

http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?86110-Ping)))Dar-a-Radar-Style-Display