Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
My PC wakes up from Sleep Mode when I put the room lights off! — Parallax Forums

My PC wakes up from Sleep Mode when I put the room lights off!

inakicinakic Posts: 10
edited 2013-12-16 11:20 in General Discussion
Hi everybody.

I have an odd problem with my new PC.
I set it to Sleep Mode (in windows). It enters Sleep Mode as expected. No noise from the unit, just the power led blinking.
However, when I leave the room and put the lights off, the system wakes up!

FYI, the lights in the room are hallogen lamps, which I have heard produce tons of EMI noise, but I wonder, is it that much as to be able to awake the computer?

I have the PC power supply connected to a UPS. I have tried to plug the PC to another socket.
I have tried removing every cable, leaving alone the power cable, and it keeps doing the same odd thing.

The PC case is a low noise Fractal Design R3. The power supply is a Corsair 650W.
The motherboard is an ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 with Core i7 CPU.

Has anyone any clue about what is happenning here? :-(

inakic.

Comments

• kwinnkwinn Posts: 8,697
    edited 2012-07-02 09:34
    Sounds like electrical noise or a change in light level triggering it. Try putting something over it to block the light and see if it wakes up.
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,250
    edited 2012-07-02 09:43
    Maybe some warm milk before it goes to sleep? :)
  • Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2012-07-02 10:27
    My guess is it's the mouse. The change in light makes the mouse think it has been moved and wakes up the computer.
  • Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    edited 2012-07-02 11:03
    That is so that you can keep on hacking at your Propeller projects by only the light of the monitor whilst the rest of the family sleeps:)
  • Mark_TMark_T Posts: 1,981
    edited 2012-07-02 16:10
    The power transient is likely to be causing something to happen that triggers an interrupt (momentary low power indication? - wake-on-LAN? - spike on keyboard or mouse cable ?)

Halogens are not especially EMI prone - but if they are fairly high current then that will explain a power transient (the switch-on from cold is a much larger transient as the current is much more). Fluorescent strip lights are very EMI prone, perhaps thats what you were thinking of?
  • Daniel HarrisDaniel Harris Posts: 207
    edited 2012-07-02 16:15
    Duane Degn wrote: »
    My guess is it's the mouse. The change in light makes the mouse think it has been moved and wakes up the computer.

I'd say this one is pretty likely. When your computer is asleep and the lights are on, does moving the mouse wake the computer up? If so, I'd guess that Duane is on to something...
  • Duane C. JohnsonDuane C. Johnson Posts: 955
    edited 2012-07-02 16:40
    Hi inakic;

Actually I think this is likely a "Feature".

I have a nice Toshiba laptop which exhibits this same thing.
    I put it to sleep and power down my nice laser wireless mouse.

My laptop will wake up if:
    1. I open the lid.
    2. I turn on the mouse.
    3. (The interesting method) If I pass a finger over the power on LED it turns on.

Remember, LEDs act both as light emitters and light sensors.
    The "Feature" circuitry watches the voltage generated by the LED when sleeping.
    When it sees a rapid change of voltage it signals power on mode.
    Ok, this usually happens when opening the cover.
    But a quick turning off of the light will also do it.

Try turning it on by simply passing a finger over the power on LED. I bet it will start up.

OK, The normal way of putting it to sleep is closing the cover.
    Also don't forget that moving the mouse can also start it up from sleep mode.

Laptops are pretty immune to noise so I would not think RF noise in the room would cause unless it is outrageously high.

Duane J
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,250
    edited 2012-07-02 17:05
    inakic: What type of mouse do you have?
  • xanaduxanadu Posts: 3,347
    edited 2012-07-02 19:02
    Possibly the light in your room is a lamp on the computer desk, and the switch turns off an outlet by your PC with some peripheral plugged into it?

If it's not that I recommend an immediate exorcism, go toward the light I think.
  • BitsBits Posts: 414
    edited 2012-07-03 09:54
    Is the keyboard / mouse on a rolling drawer? Often my PC will go into sleep mode and when I push the keyboard / mouse away it jerks the mouse a bit causing it to awake soon after.

Un-plug the mouse and set her to sleep to see if this fixes the problem. That should give you a better idea of whats causing the issue at the least.
  • LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2012-07-03 10:26
    When the cat is away, the mice will play. LOL

You might have to put the mouse away to avoid triggering. Frankly, I don't use SLEEP mode as it drives me crazy and wastes electricity. If you don't want it, can you turn it off?

I need to look into this in W7 as my Toshiba laptop shuts down in Linux when I close the lid, but goes into SLEEP mode in W7. I forget about it and battery goes dead. (That is why I dislike SLEEP mode). Shutting the monitor to save power is useful when you are processing a long run of something, but SLEEP is a bit too much for me.
  • inakicinakic Posts: 10
    edited 2012-07-03 11:57
    Thanks everybody for your answers. The paranormal phenomena happens even when i have the mouse physically disconnected from pc. Actually i have tried to disconnect evrything except the power cable. And it still happens! I would bet it is something related to the power up button on the cpu. But i cannot reproduce the effect except putting the lights on and off. At least i would like to reverse the effect, i mean i wish the pc to go to sleep when i put the lights off! :tongue:
  • BitsBits Posts: 414
    edited 2012-07-03 12:04
    That can be done using a photo-transistor.

I once used a laser and a photo-transistor inside a parabolic dish to make a laser switch. It was activated by sticking a finger in the parabolic dish (I recycled it out of a Maglight) and it fit the front of my PC perfectly.
  • Beau SchwabeBeau Schwabe Posts: 6,547
    edited 2012-07-03 12:44
    Is there an IR port on the computer?
  • john_sjohn_s Posts: 369
    edited 2012-07-03 13:02
    Place your pc in another room (or just cover it well including the keyboard) with no lights and door closed... and retry the light's on/off sequence.
    That will eliminate the 'dark' effect.

I had a sensitive keyboard in the past (some 20+ years ago) that behaved erratically and halted the pc every time you 'injected' a bit of static into it.
  • LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2012-07-04 08:31
    If there is an IR port installed, that may be what it is all about.

If not,
    Shield the power button. Can you get some braided shield cable and fasten one end to ground? Or maybe wrap the wire in a ferrite toroid a few times to trap the transient. Maybe do both.

OR
    Change the Power ON options in the BIOS configuration to 'none'.

I will download the motherboard documentation and take a look at what might be a problem in the BIOS configuration. Then I will get back to you.

Do you have a backlit keyboard that might be sensing light?
  • EnjiEnji Posts: 1
    edited 2013-12-14 16:52
    hi inakic
    I have the same problem. If your problem is solved,please tell me how thank you
    inakic wrote: »
    Hi everybody.

I have an odd problem with my new PC.
    I set it to Sleep Mode (in windows). It enters Sleep Mode as expected. No noise from the unit, just the power led blinking.
    However, when I leave the room and put the lights off, the system wakes up!

FYI, the lights in the room are hallogen lamps, which I have heard produce tons of EMI noise, but I wonder, is it that much as to be able to awake the computer?

I have the PC power supply connected to a UPS. I have tried to plug the PC to another socket.
    I have tried removing every cable, leaving alone the power cable, and it keeps doing the same odd thing.

The PC case is a low noise Fractal Design R3. The power supply is a Corsair 650W.
    The motherboard is an ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 with Core i7 CPU.

Has anyone any clue about what is happenning here? :-(

inakic.
  • Peter KG6LSEPeter KG6LSE Posts: 1,383
    edited 2013-12-14 20:55
    halogens are just fancy incandescences .. I recon a SMPS ran LED or a Solid state CFL puts out a TON more RFI ....

Unless the PSU that runs the lamp is SMPS too . then its any ones guess .......

Peter..
    edited 2013-12-14 21:07
    Troubleshoot dude. Start unplugging stuff and testing cause none of us can replicate this reliably.
  • GordonMcCombGordonMcComb Posts: 3,366
    edited 2013-12-15 13:20
    Since you've already unplugged everything (except power, obviously), and it's still happening, then it's either RF noise induced in the network card (many PCs will wake up on network activity), or it's noise coming into your PC via some route.

If the noise is RF there's not as much you can do about it, unless maybe upgrade the case or try a different network card. But if it's noise coming through the power line, this suggests you should be using a good surge protector. The surge protector may not stop the false triggering, but your PC is getting some dirty power.
    edited 2013-12-15 14:03
    What computer do you have? Specify Manufacturer and Model please.

I remember an old Dell All In One I had, it had a motion and light sensor on it that would wake the computer too.

If it happens with just the AC cord, another thing to try is shining light on the PC using a bright flashlight instead of the room lights. You should be able to pinpoint the location of the sensor with a flashlight's narrow beam.
  • frank freedmanfrank freedman Posts: 1,975
    edited 2013-12-15 16:14
    Are your lights CFLs? perhaps a transient from the CFL circuit is generated at turn on/off. Have you scoped the power lines to see what happens when the lights are turned off. Try turning the lights off before the unit gets sleeped and see if it wakes up by itself. . Just a couple of random ideas.......
    edited 2013-12-16 11:20
    I doubt you will hear back from this person. I can say with a pretty high degree of certainty that it's a peripheral. When you tell someone to "unplug everything" they usually do not, and say they did. I deal with this on a constant basis so maybe I am biased. I'm guess that whoever it was finally unplugged their mouse and it stopped.

I don't think noise on the AC could penetrate all the way down to the standby DC circuits, but that's just a guess. I've deployed computers in the worst imaginable environments, often not even earth grounded (in the USMC). I've never seen noisy power do anything but artifact CRT displays, or LCD that don't have ferrite cores around the cables.

Most BIOS and operating systems can selectively adjust what can wake the computer. It would be real easy to disable everything, then add things one at a time if someone didn't want to unplug everything.
  • this happens to me too, I have a desktop with a gigabyte motherboard and a seasonic power supply, when I turns on my room led lamp with 3 watts my PC wakes up. after reading all the comments here I tested some things, is not mouse, IR or anything like that. Then I turn on one air blower and unplugged the cable. surprisingly my PC wakes up when I plugged again the power cable. So, it's energy variation in the house electric distribution.