Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
basic requirements for wireless communication through xbee — Parallax Forums

basic requirements for wireless communication through xbee

edited 2012-07-05 15:59 in Accessories
I am doing a project based on Xbee. I need to send the data from laptop(or PC) to a LED display through Xbee modules.
Does the Xbee module Contains transmitter and receiver in it? Is it possible to send data from laptop to Xbee transmitter module directly or Do i need to assemble another device between laptop and XBee module.........

If anybody knows the components required for the project, please help me ...........

Comments

• Ron CzapalaRon Czapala Posts: 2,418
    edited 2012-06-29 05:09
    Welcome to the forums!

There is some good documentation for getting started with XBEEs at http://www.parallax.com/go/xbee.

Specifically the tutorial is a PDF with Basic Stamp and Propeller examples, etc
  • groggorygroggory Posts: 205
    edited 2012-07-05 15:59
    I'd get this for your laptop...

XStick® 802.15.4 USB Adapter

xstick.jpg

and an XBee explorer or XBee explorer USB + XBee series 1 w/ integrated antenna or whip antenna. If you get the USB version you'll be able to easily reprogram the Xbee if desired.

You won't need a micro controller to do this.

If you get a serial display you can use the XBee's built in UART to pass data from the laptop to the display.

If you get an SPI display, you can use the XBee's built in DIO pins to pass data from the laptop to the display.

If you have a raw display you will have to build something like a shift register circuit and the DIO pins to pass data from the laptop to the display.

However you cut it, this is a beautifully easy problem.