Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Wireless remote control — Parallax Forums

Wireless remote control

gennarobasso81gennarobasso81 Posts: 84
edited 2012-06-26 08:19 in Robotics
Is it possilble to use my bs2 as a wireless remote to a boe bot with a propeller?

Heres what I am thinking:

I already have two BS2's (1 homework board and 1 BOE) but i want to start with a propeller. I'm still pretty new with the BS2 programming...but want to learn the propeller language instead of spending all my time on Pbasic since Spin and the propeller seem to be the future (i'm guessing you will slowly see BS2 phased out for all but grade school and highschool projects?).

Since I already have the BS2 set up for the wireless controller would i be able to use the BS2 in Pbasic and the Boe Bot with a propeller?

Comments

• FranklinFranklin Posts: 4,747
    edited 2012-06-25 12:29
    What do you plan to use for the "wireless" part?
  • gennarobasso81gennarobasso81 Posts: 84
    edited 2012-06-26 06:53
    Originally i thought about the xbee rf's....cost about the same as the 433 MHz RF Transceiver but after looking more into it i was thinking thr 433 rf would be a little less code complicated
  • Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2012-06-26 08:15
    Another wireless option is the Nordic nRF24L01+ chip. It's more complicated to use than a XBee but the transceivers cost less than <$2.50 each (see post #1 of my signature). While the coding in for complicated for the Nordic transceivers, there are code examples for them for both the BS2 and the Propeller.

Another downside to these Nordic modules is the number of pins they use. You can get by with controlling them with 5 I/O pins but I usually use all six control pins when using a Nordic module. The extra pins is one of the costs of the high speed communication capability of these chips.
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,255
    edited 2012-06-26 08:19
    Duane Degn wrote: »
    The extra pins is one of the costs of the high speed communication capability of these chips.

@Duane: So CW (morse code) is "right out" ?