Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
PINK or Spinneret ?? — Parallax Forums

PINK or Spinneret ??

PodionPodion Posts: 90
edited 2012-06-23 11:10 in Accessories
Hello all,

I have a project to control wirelessly lights, temperature and other kind of controls in my house.*
I whant to know witch one of those module is the best option for me, PINK or Spinneret? And witch one have more suport resource for beginner user whit those module?
I'm a beginner programer in Spin and an intermediate*in BasicStamp language but I like to build my project whit Propeller.

Sorry for my english I'm French*

Comments

• $WMc%$WMc% Posts: 1,884
    edited 2012-06-22 20:10
    These guys are hard wired. (Spinneret/Pink)
    '
    Take a look at the Xbee's or the Roving Networks RN171/174
    '
    Wireless Xbee's
    WiFi RN171/174's
  • PodionPodion Posts: 90
    edited 2012-06-23 07:17
    Ok thank you for the fast reply. :-)
    But I think those module are just for close device how andle wifi or RF communication ? I want to control my house from every ware..
    Is the Rover Network can do that over a web browser like the PINK or Spinneret for example ?
  • Mike GMike G Posts: 2,702
    edited 2012-06-23 09:10
    Podion, your project definition is too vague to provide specific guidance.

I assume you want a centralized controller that handles all services like temperature and light. The PINK and Spinneret are hardwired network devices. Both devices can be physically connected to a wireless router. This provides internal WiFi access to the controller plus, through router configuration, the controller is exposed to the Internet. The next step is connecting the controller to temperature and light devices. May temperature devices use the I2C protocol. If the temperature device is not in close proximity to the controller then you'll have to figure out how to get the temperature data to the central controller. That can be accomplished with a Zigbee network which means more controllers.
  • PodionPodion Posts: 90
    edited 2012-06-23 10:37
    Mike G

Sorry for my vague explanation.

I already have all the control for light and temperature in my house.
    Now my project is to build a expention of the existing controller.
    I want to be able to control all my device if I'm at my job or in transit. And I want to be alert by email if a person is trying to get in my house.
    Wen I mean "wireless" I don't mean wireless module controller but wireless controlling were I am at any time.
    There is a video you can watch that show you the kind of things I want to do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eexlYrESdP8&feature=youtube_gdata_player
  • Mike GMike G Posts: 2,702
    edited 2012-06-23 11:10
    Spinneret Tutorial (running from a Spinneret)
    http://spinneret.servebeer.com:5000/

Remote Spinneret Control
    http://www.agaverobotics.com/spinneret/controlpanel.htm

I have not used a PINK - only a Spinneret.

First you need to expose your internal network to the internet. Consult your router documentation. The tutorial has some information regarding networking as well. In the video, the developer used a proxy service to parse a test message and created a web request. This is the same concept as the Remote Spinneret Control except I'm using a custom service running on a web server to relay LED web requests.