Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
ipad 3 — Parallax Forums

ipad 3

KARIM102KARIM102 Posts: 75
edited 2012-06-21 09:11 in BASIC Stamp
Dear All,
can i connect my ipad3 to the basic stamp, & could i programming the bs2 with the ipad????
thx a lot

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2012-06-20 17:14
    No. You can't program the BS2 with your iPad. The compiler and downloader only work under Windows on an Intel PC. You could use an RN-XV WiFly module to connect your iPad to the Stamp using a free App (Mocha Telnet Lite) for data entry or control. The Stamp interacts using the SERIN and SEROUT statements much like it does with an xBee module. You'd need some kind of xBee adapter for the Stamp.

The Propeller can be programmed using an iPad as its keyboard and display (via Mocha Telnet Lite) if you're running one of the FemtoBasic derivatives or FORTH. You could even run CP/M with the iPad as the console and the WiFly module as the wireless serial link.
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,256
    edited 2012-06-21 07:29
    If Parallax is marketing an Arduino BoE, they better jump on the iPad train too, IMHO. They probably have their wizards working on it.
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2012-06-21 08:55
    erco, The iPad is really not a very suitable platform for programming a BS2. Although you can use a Bluetooth keyboard with it, that's an extra box to carry and the on-screen keyboard is not great for entering significant amounts of text, like programs. There are no serial adapters available for it as far as I know and it doesn't implement serial over Bluetooth (SPP). The only option is Telnet over WiFi or trying to use audio input and output which is currently limited to about 1200 Baud. With the RN-XV WiFly adapters I could see using Telnet for programming, but that would take a major effort ... developing software for the iPad is not simple. Are you volunteering?
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,256
    edited 2012-06-21 09:11
    Great info, Mike. I'm not an iPad fan, but it seems the world has gone "mad for iPad". My rather uninformed point was just that if it can be done, Parallax was probably on it. But from your description, it sounds like that "app" may or may not happen.

I have seen some ridiculous workarounds for iPhones, using the audio output jack to control an IR remote to control a toy car. All in someone's high hopes of getting on "Gizmodo" or other tech blogs for a day. :)