Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Radio/magnetic (or whatever will work) sensor — Parallax Forums

Radio/magnetic (or whatever will work) sensor

spydeespydee Posts: 1
edited 2012-06-17 22:53 in Accessories
Does anyone know if you can buy a sensor which, if presented with 'token A' will flash red, and if presented with 'token B' will flash green.

The sensor would have to be operated ideally by a small battery or two (coin cell lithium batteries CR2025 3v). I'd hope that I wouldn't have to power the tokens, only the sensor.

As an example, say I had the sensor on a table and the token on a wrist band, i'd hope that when the person wearing the wrist band presented it (and therefore the token) to the sensor, the sensor would flash green if it was token A or red if token B.

Really hope someone has come across something like this as I haven't got a clue what to search for on the internet. A search for 'Sensors' hasn't given me anything yet. :frown:

Comments

• Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2012-06-17 12:01
    psydee,

Welcome to the forum!

Check out Parallax's selction of RFID products:

The 25mm tags could be incorporated into a wristband, with the red/green selection based upon whether the serial number is even or odd.

Also Google rfid wristband. You will find a wide variety of passive RFID tags already incorporated into wristbands. Not all of them will be compatible with the Parallax readers, though.

-Phil
  • kwinnkwinn Posts: 8,697
    edited 2012-06-17 22:53
    Unfortunately RFID and most other active sensors need a bit of power to operate so batteries would not last long. Perhaps a capacitance sensor and an RFID could be used. The capacitance sensor draws very little power and could detect a hand nearby, and turn on the RFID sensor to read the tag information.