Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
S2 and speech recognition — Parallax Forums

S2 and speech recognition

NikosGNikosG Posts: 705
edited 2012-06-17 11:26 in Robotics
Hi,

I was wandering if I could use the microphone of S2 robot in order to make some sophisticated activities with my S2 robot.
It would be very interesting if we could use this microphone for speech recognition.
The “Goertzel Speech Recognition Demo” from Phil Pilgrim works perfect with the microphone on the Propeller Demo Board.
In the past I had made a project with the name Propeller speech recognition robot using this demo and now I’m trying to use it again with my S2 robot
This demo uses two parameters in order to communicate with the Propeller Demo Board.
INP_PIN = 8 'Audio input pin (can be modified for other boards).
FB_PIN = 9 'Sigma-delta ADC feedback pin (can be modified for other boards).
My question is about the modification of these two parameters in order to communicate with the S2’s Board. I saw the S2’s schematics but I couldn’t find the pin that uses the microphone. Basically this is a question for Phil Pilgrim but if anyone can help you are welcome.

Comments

• Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2012-06-16 14:12
    P10 is labeled Mic_ADC_In and P9 is labeled Mic_ADC_Out (feedback).

If you've using the pdf schematic, you can click on the labels and they'll take you to the other page of the schematic where the lines continue.

The microphone pre-amp is on page 10 of the schematic.
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2012-06-16 14:16
    In the S2, Mic_ADC_In (input) is P10, and Mic_ADC_Out (feedback) is P9. It should work fine, as long as the S2 is not moving. When it's in motion, the gearbox noise will likely drown out any external commands. Also, be sure not to start the microphone envelope cog, as it will interfere with the speech recognition object.

-Phil
  • NikosGNikosG Posts: 705
    edited 2012-06-17 11:26
    Duane and Phil,

Thank you, for your help.
    I have in mind to combine the "Goertzel Speech Recognition Demo" with the S2's writing ability.
    As my previous project "Propeller speech recognition robot" I m going to use the S2's LEDs for the software interface.

Phil,
    I'm going to use a piece of code for S2's LEDs that you have gave me when I had problem with the use of my Pen lifter.
    Actually the bigest part of code that I'm going to use is Yours!

I hope that I'll have the first results soon....