Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
EB500 Bluetooth module vs Easy Bluetooth Module — Parallax Forums

EB500 Bluetooth module vs Easy Bluetooth Module

anonymoanonymo Posts: 5
edited 2012-07-17 14:28 in Accessories
Hi folks!

I have just purchased a boe bot kit and iam thinking of using Microsoft Robotic Studio for communicating with the robot. My question is is there any different between EB500 Bluetooth Module and the Easy Bluetooth Module? I dont seem to find the EB500 Bluetooth Module for purchase, has that been discontinued?

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2012-06-16 09:32
    The EB500 is no longer available and it's different from the Easy Bluetooth Module. The EB500 manual is still available if you want to compare the two devices.
  • anonymoanonymo Posts: 5
    edited 2012-06-16 09:36
    Mike Green wrote: »
    The EB500 is no longer available and it's different from the Easy Bluetooth Module

Thanks for your answer! Do you have any idea if Microsoft Robotic Studio has support for Easy Bluetooth Module?
    edited 2012-06-16 09:38
    I'm not familiar with the Microsoft Robotic Studio. Sorry.
    edited 2012-06-16 10:43
    I'm not familiar with the Microsoft Robotic Studio. Sorry.

Okej, thanks again for the answers.
  • NWUpgradesNWUpgrades Posts: 292
    edited 2012-06-16 20:09
    http://www.parallax.com/dl/docs/prod/robo/BluetoothControlledRobot.pdf

I could be wrong but I believe it does support it. I thought I had a EB500 but after looking I think it is just an EBT an dit works with MSRDS.

I thought I had a .pdf on this. Just found and uploaded as it is no longer on the Parallax site.
    edited 2012-06-17 10:00
    NWUpgrades wrote: »
    http://www.parallax.com/dl/docs/prod/robo/BluetoothControlledRobot.pdf

I could be wrong but I believe it does support it. I thought I had a EB500 but after looking I think it is just an EBT an dit works with MSRDS.

I thought I had a .pdf on this. Just found and uploaded as it is no longer on the Parallax site.

Thats some good news man, thanks!
  • NWCCTVNWCCTV Posts: 3,629
    edited 2012-07-17 13:46
    The EB500 is no longer available and it's different from the Easy Bluetooth Module. The EB500 manual is still available if you want to compare the two devices.

Mike, Do you know if there is a way to program the EBT module to have an RTS pin? In looking at the differences in the EBT and the EB500 one of the main differences is that the EBT does not use RTS. This is pin 5 on the EB500 and is needed when trying to communicate with MSRS. Pin 5is not even an option on the EBT as it uses the even series side. It appears that pins 4-14 are not used so if there is a way to program RTS I could use one of those pins.
    edited 2012-07-17 14:16
    The EBT module is made of two parts. One is the actual Bluetooth module. It requires +3.3V, ground, Tx, Rx, and has RTS and CTS available. The second part is an interface that includes a connector, a voltage regulator, and some interface circuitry that allows the Tx and Rx lines to be connected to 5V logic parts. There is no connection to the RTS and CTS pins of the Bluetooth module. You would have to modify the interface module to add an interface for the RTS and CTS pins of the Bluetooth module. There is no programming involved, so there's no way you can access RTS and CTS without hardware modifications.
  • NWCCTVNWCCTV Posts: 3,629
    edited 2012-07-17 14:28
    That's what I was afraid of. Thanks Mike.