Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Help: TSC 3230-DB & Bd of Education - LEDs do not light, sample program does not work — Parallax Forums

Help: TSC 3230-DB & Bd of Education - LEDs do not light, sample program does not work

MiddleSchoolerMiddleSchooler Posts: 10
edited 2012-06-15 23:22 in Accessories
Hi,

I am in grade 8, and very new to this, so I am sorry forasking such a simple question.

This Monday, I got(1) a Board of Education with Bs2, (2) a DB Expander, (3) a DB Extension Cable,and (4) a TCS 3230 DB.

I downloaded the sample program (TCS3200-DB_demoDB-Expander.bs2) and connected everything together, (Pins 0 through 5) but theLED lights would NOT turn on! I thenconnected the Vdd and 5v pins to Vdd and Gnd to Vss, and re-ran the program,and I again the LEDs did not light.

I had ordered a pe Mobo by mistake, and I have to send it back - I need to use the Board ofEduction with this sensor because when a certain color is detected, I need tomake a buzzer activate, and the pe MoBo only has two cable input plugs, thereis no way to connect to an external buzzer with the pe Mobo.

But, to test if my TCS 3230 DB was defective, I plugged theTCS 3230 DB into the MoBo pe, and the color sensor worked, the LEDs litup! I ran sample program, TCS230_demoMoBoStamp.bpe.

I have tried all week to make the TSC 3230 DB work with myBoard of Education, but it does not, I get the DEGUG info, but the LEDs neverturn on!

The DB Expander is confusing, and does not let me know whatis connected to what. And theTCS230_demo MoBoStamp.bpe program (the one that works, but only with the MoBope) has different pins on the senror referenced, i.e.,
S3 PIN 0 '
S2 PIN 1
LED PIN 5
Owio PIN 6
Out PIN 7

But the Bs2 program never mentions Owio. Also, the Mobo pe program has lines stating:
PAUSE 10 'Wait for AVR toreset.
OWOUT Owio, 1,[$05, $15] 'Maximum outputrate.
HIGH LED

But I cannot find the OWOUT pin on the DB or the connectingcable.

I am sorry that I am so new and clueless about this. I have tried all week before asking forhelp, but please help me! Please, usingthe DB Expander pis ( Gnd, H, G, F, E, D, C, B, A, Vdd, V, +5V) WHAT DO ICONNECT AND WHERE? Do you know of asample program for the color sensor that works with the Bs2?

Thank you for your help.
Rory

Comments

• Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2012-06-15 20:44
    Hey Rory,

Welcome to the Parallax forum! It's really great to see middle schoolers getting into the action. You seem to have a lot on the ball!

'Sorry you've had so much trouble with your TCS3200 setup. Don't worry about OWOUT: that's only for the MoBo. Using the DB-Expander, make the following connections on your BOE:
    BOE -> DB-Expander
    Vss -> Vss
    Vdd -> Vdd
    Vdd -> +5V
    P2 -> C
    P3 -> D
    P4 -> E
    P5 -> F

In case your BS2 program is not the latest version, I've attached the code that works with these connections.

BTW, you could still use the MoBo with the TCS3200-DB and a buzzer by adding either a PWR-I/O-DB or a Proto-DB to the other MoBo socket.

And please don't hesitate to return in case of trouble. That's what we're here for. :)

-Phil
  • MiddleSchoolerMiddleSchooler Posts: 10
    edited 2012-06-15 23:03
    Wow! Maybe I can use the MoBo pe too! You answered more than I asked, thank you so very much!

I will try your suggestions.

I know I will be asking more questions as I go along, this is so much fun to do but also so very complicated.

Someday, hopefully I can be like you, and help someone new to all of this!

Thank you again
    Rory
  • MiddleSchoolerMiddleSchooler Posts: 10
    edited 2012-06-15 23:22
    THANK YOU! I TRIED YOUR CONNECTIONS AND EVERYTHING WORKED!!!!!

Now I can start writing my own program, thanks to your help!

THANKS AGAIN - IT WORKS GREAT!!!!
    : )