Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Non-contact (IR) Temperature Probe w/BS2? — Parallax Forums

Non-contact (IR) Temperature Probe w/BS2?

xanatosxanatos Posts: 1,120
edited 2012-06-10 15:24 in BASIC Stamp
I'm making some auxilliary monitoring equipment for my LENR project and I was wondering if anyone on here has made any non-contact IR temperature probes using a Stamp? I was looking at the Melexis.com MLX90614 sensor... it's got a 5 degree FOV version, looks good for my application. Anyone with experience in this or similar?

Thanks!

Dave

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2012-06-10 14:41
    Parallax did sell a MLX90614 sensor with an SX interface. The MLX90614 is an I2C device and the interface used asynchronous serial I/O with the SX translating the commands to I2C equivalents. With just a "bare" MLX90614, you'll need an I2C interface. There are subroutines for this in one of the Nuts and Volts Columns, but you'll have to handle the details yourself based on the datasheet and Melexis' application notes. There seem to be some others who asked about using a BS2 to control a MLX90614 directly. Do a Google search for Melexis MLX90614 and Stamp.
  • xanatosxanatos Posts: 1,120
    edited 2012-06-10 15:24
    Hiya Mike! Thanks. I found the old Parallax PDF that referenced the item you mentioned. Perhaps a bit much with the discontinued SX, etc.... but maybe I'll check out the subr's in N&V as you said. This is just as a multiply-redundant verification of temperature measurements of my cathode in the LENR cell. Not even sure how well it'd work peering through 1.5cm of deuterium :-) I already have a nice circuit that uses a 4x20 LCD to display 4 temperature readings from LM34s plus two neutron detector counts. If I come up with anything useful I'll post it here for others to use.

Thanks again,

Dave