Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Cutting tool & metal chip formation video — Parallax Forums

Cutting tool & metal chip formation video

Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
edited 2012-07-22 14:27 in Robotics
Amazing slow-motion videomicrography (loud -- turn the volume down):

I'm surprised by how much material build-up and fracturing occurs at the leading edge of the bit. It's a wonder that it's even possible to get a smooth finish.

-Phil

Comments

• mindrobotsmindrobots Posts: 6,506
    edited 2012-06-10 17:33
    OK, I watched the whole thing. The large deposits of material build up that are left in the wake are interesting. They look like boulder. We're there any measurements to give a sense of scale?

Must be a slow Sunday night if I'm watching metal chips.
  • ElectricAyeElectricAye Posts: 4,561
    edited 2012-06-10 17:51
    Interesting stuff. It could easily be cream cheese, peanut butter, or plate tectonics.
  • idbruceidbruce Posts: 6,197
    edited 2012-07-22 07:32
    I would have never imagined the process to look like that. It was kind of interesting to see an occassional amount of metal go under the bit, instead of above it, which must obviously be a direct result of tolerances built into the cutting machine.

Bruce
  • $WMc%$WMc% Posts: 1,884
    edited 2012-07-22 14:27
    If you look at the video starting at 4:07 You'll see the chip material has stopped moving and its bunching up in front of the tool bit.This is not good.
    '
    I'd attribute the occasional amount of metal going under the tool bit to human error. Too much speed and too much feed. Not to mention the lack of cutting fluid.