Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Part Flipper — Parallax Forums

Part Flipper

xanaduxanadu Posts: 3,347
edited 2012-06-22 14:57 in BASIC Stamp
Tired of holding so many things together?

[video=youtube_share;1YUtdp6_BYA]
' {$STAMP BS2}
' {$PBASIC 2.5}

DO
IF (IN0 = 0) THEN GOSUB posi2
IF (IN1 = 0) THEN GOSUB posi1
LOOP

posi2:
 PULSOUT 12, 780
 PAUSE 20
RETURN

posi1:
 PULSOUT 12, 720
 PAUSE 20
RETURN

Part Flipper 2

[video=youtube_share;FxwYCq1QPkA]

Part Flipper 2 is stronger, but you'll need some more parts. Uses the same BASIC Stamp micro, with the addition of a stepper and more durable mounting system. The mount is a ground bus bar you can find at any hardware store, along with the clips. For steppers and controllers I used http://www.pololu.com/catalog/product/1207 and http://www.pololu.com/catalog/product/1183.

Code for Stepper:
' {$STAMP BS2}
' {$PBASIC 2.5}

enable CON 15
dirpin CON 14
'step pin 12

LOW enable

DO
IF (IN0 = 0) THEN GOSUB posi2
IF (IN1 = 0) THEN GOSUB posi1
LOOP

posi2:
 LOW dirpin
 PULSOUT 12, 1000
 PAUSE 2
RETURN

posi1:
 HIGH dirpin
 PULSOUT 12, 1000
 PAUSE 2
RETURN

Comments

• ZootZoot Posts: 2,227
    edited 2012-06-08 14:37
    That's cool.
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2012-06-08 15:08
    'Inspired and very useful! How many times I wish I had had one of those!

-Phil
  • xanaduxanadu Posts: 3,347
    edited 2012-06-08 15:21
    Thank you. I would love to see some machine fabricated version spawn from this (hint hint). I'm not sure if it's painfully obvious in the video, but this will save you a bunch of time and it is fun to use. The double clips need to be bridged where you press them down. Or I would like to find a single wider clip, the two small ones are hard to use with one hand. They also seem to offer the perfect amount of pressure and hold things tight, with no trace they were there after. I was thinking of donating a BOE Bot wheel to accommodate the larger clip. It would still be hard to attach. Back to soldering for now this works well.
  • mindrobotsmindrobots Posts: 6,506
    edited 2012-06-08 16:45
    Brilliant!! I'm saving this one for a rainy day. Or maybe just this weekend. What a great idea!!

Foot pedals, maybe??
    edited 2012-06-08 17:35
    mindrobots wrote: »
    Brilliant!! I'm saving this one for a rainy day. Or maybe just this weekend. What a great idea!!

Foot pedals, maybe??

Hopefully it rains this weekend!

I have a list of stuff I would like to add to it, and foot pedals were not on the list! That's a great idea. I presented this in project raw form. I used the Prop Proto and BS2 instead of say... straw hats on a big turntable. Sure hat weaving is cool but to generate interest in a specific area such as this forum I thought hey why not build a solder helper. This is a great community to share ideas with and anyone reading this that is not a part of this community hopefully understands where I'm coming from. I present an idea instead of a finished project because I'm hoping that some of the builders on here may create some unique solutions I don't have access to.

The whole background on this was I don't mind flipping my PCB in my vise. At the same time I always wished I could attach a motor to make my vise open and close automatically. To work around how to attach a motor to do so I though of just making the board rotate.

So if it rains this weekend or not please share your design and maybe everyone will be part flipping :)
  • msrobotsmsrobots Posts: 3,709
    edited 2012-06-16 00:07
    Hi xanadu;

I love it.

there are those bigger paperclips to clip together 2-200 pages ... I use them as money-clips ... sorry no picture ... they are pretty strong and come in differend sizes... you flip out two handle and press to open ... I will try them.

Enjoy!

Mike
  • skylightskylight Posts: 1,915
    edited 2012-06-16 01:46
    great idea! just thought that to give the board even more stability you could have clip/s at the other end attached to a bearing so it spins with the board but gives support at the other end.
  • bsnutbsnut Posts: 521
    edited 2012-06-18 01:49
    xanadu,

I like your project and how you kept it simple
  • idbruceidbruce Posts: 6,197
    edited 2012-06-18 06:25
    xanadu

I like it!
    I would love to see some machine fabricated version spawn from this (hint hint).

That just might happen. I have plenty of spare aluminum and many miscellaneous stepper motors. I think a Z axis would be nice for height adjustment.
    there are those bigger paperclips to clip together 2-200 pages ... I use them as money-clips ... sorry no picture ... they are pretty strong and come in differend sizes... you flip out two handle and press to open ... I will try them.

I believe that is also a good suggestion with rubber padding to prevent damage to silk screen and traces.

Bruce
    edited 2012-06-18 12:32
    Thanks for the compliments and feedback :)

You really need the small clips to be able to grab stuff in small places. Having multiple clips instead of a single wide clip is a great option, it just depends on what kind of work you're doing. My plastic servo horn is holding up well, the super glue had cracked. I cleaned off the super glue a used JB weld. With the JB weld it is really solid, of course that means the servo horn or shaft will go next.

pflipconc.jpg

I used a wheel from a BOE-Bot (A), then used thick solid copper wire (B.) and more JB Weld. Still using more of the original clips at (C.). This works much better, but I think the gluing part needs to be solved.

It would be really nice if there was something similar to (A), but it has places to attach arms. I was thinking holes with set screws. The same goes for a stepper motor.

@idbruce - Can you can machine the part that connects to a stepper shaft, and has holes with set screws along the outside diameter, like this?
    PFLIPSMCONC.jpg

That way the arms would be removable and then you can use a variety of different attachments. I would buy one. I've been using this a lot, even for simple stuff like shrinking shrink wrap. One step closer to automated assembly, nothing to assemble but still one step closer :)
    471 x 558 - 14K
    471 x 326 - 12K
    782 x 531 - 33K
    edited 2012-06-19 02:44
    xanadu

Yea, I could make something like that. In fact, I believe I have something similar to that just hanging around in spare parts from a previous experiment. However, I am currently overwhelmed with other stuff, and additionally, I believe that is a bit complicated for the intended purpose. I believe machining a piece of 1/2" flat bar about 3-1/2" long would be the ticket, perhaps something similar to the attached drawing.

Bruce

EDIT: Another thing worth mentioning.... If you decide to use aligator clips held by set screws, then you should solder brass rod to the inside of the clip to prevent it from collapsing due to the pressure of the set screw.
    407 x 161 - 9K
    edited 2012-06-19 03:02
    xanadu

Is the copper wire that you suggest and show in you diagram intended to be flexible to allow bending to hold various parts in different locations, such as holding a resistor in place, as compared to bending the component legs?

Bruce
    edited 2012-06-19 11:24
    idbruce wrote: »
    xanadu

Is the copper wire that you suggest and show in you diagram intended to be flexible to allow bending to hold various parts in different locations, such as holding a resistor in place, as compared to bending the component legs?

Bruce

Yes, I experimented with a variety of options and small clips on 3" flexible wires works great.

I don't know why I was so hung up on a circular mount, the bar mount sounds good! Thanks a million, we'll get you on payroll someday lol :)

newpartflipper.jpg

Boom, still made out of parts you can find 'laying around'. This is 'wicked solid'. I need to wire up a stepper then make a mount for the stepper that will fit in my vise.
    816 x 612 - 164K
    edited 2012-06-19 12:34
    LOL Looks like a SquareD ground bar to me. :)
    edited 2012-06-19 12:49
    idbruce wrote: »
    LOL Looks like a SquareD ground bar to me. :)

Right, I left that out, $4.99 ground bar from Lowe's. Kicking myself for spending $40 on a set of 'helping hands' now...
    edited 2012-06-19 12:53
    Kicking myself for spending $40 on a set of 'helping hands' now...

Ahhhh, but I use my helping hands for all kinds of projects, not just electrical. I am sure your's will come in handy just as well.
  • Nick ErnstNick Ernst Posts: 138
    edited 2012-06-20 07:34
    Awesome idea and application! I think my bench area could use one!!
    edited 2012-06-21 12:38
    Nick Ernst wrote: »
    Awesome idea and application! I think my bench area could use one!!

Thank you! I added the stepper motor to it and it has a nice solid feel to it now. If you already have a stepper and a microcontroller, all you need is the bus bar and some clips :)
  • varnonvarnon Posts: 184
    edited 2012-06-21 18:06
    Really cool. I saw it in action in another one of your videos, but I couldn't see what it was. I think this kind of thing is definitely useful and marketable.
  • tobdectobdec Posts: 267
    edited 2012-06-22 12:17
    Hey Xanadu your a man after my own heart....this is ghetto and I love it! I had an idea on it...the only problem I see is with people like me...with my hand steadied I can solder all day like a champ and produce very high quality joints....in mid air I look like I have a nervous disorder and my joints look like im on somthing lol! What if this designs was mounted in a slightly raised hole in a workbench so our arms and hands could rest on the bench whilst soldering our boards? this would make it easy to hover over for viewing and solve the steadying issue for people like me.
    edited 2012-06-22 12:46
    That would be pretty sweet to have it flush with the table. I guess the mounting part is up to the end user. One thing that made small work like this easier for me was I completely stopped drinking any caffeine :)
    edited 2012-06-22 12:59
    xanadu wrote: »
    One thing that made small work like this easier for me was I completely stopped drinking any caffeine :)
    HERESY!!!! How dare you defie the Mountaine Dew and Coffee? You ain't going straight on me are you? Because if so Folgers and Pepsi bottling have somthing to say about that!
    edited 2012-06-22 13:18
    LOL. I know it is crazy! I used to pound drinks like that 24/7.
    edited 2012-06-22 13:34
    I can down Coke like it's water...like in a scary way....I need to stop my uncle is dying from drinking soo much coke...I woner if it's hereditary? lol prob not! Does it really make a big difference though?
    edited 2012-06-22 14:57
    Yes it makes a difference, more than one will ever know I bet! It depends on the individual a lot though, moderation is good either way.