Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Drill Bit Sharpening — Parallax Forums

Drill Bit Sharpening

idbruceidbruce Posts: 6,197
edited 2012-07-22 10:45 in Robotics
Hello Everyone

Over the years I have sharpened several wood boring bits, but I have never successfully sharpened a metal boring bit, that is until today. Many years ago, I picked up a drill bit sharpener from someplace. This sharpener was all rusty and inoperable. Recently I decided to revamp the sharpener and make it operational. And today I made a temporary setup for a grinder and the drill sharpening tool. For a trial run, I did not pick just any old bit. I picked one of the largest and dullest bits that I had. My selection was a 7/16" 135 degree bit, that was so dull, it probably would have struggled going through a piece of paper. After a few setbacks of learning how to properly use the drill bit sharpener, I finally finished up with the 7/16" bit. Most of the bit looked old and weathered, but the tip looked pretty good, and of course, you know I had to test it's ability to drill metal. Once again, I did not just pick a random piece of metal, instead I chose the thickest piece of aluminum that I had available, which was 1" thick. To quickly sum it up, it drilled right through it, like a hot knife slicing through butter.

Needless to say that tomorrow will be a long and boring day, but when it is over, I will be a happy guy. However, I now kick myself for all the bits that went in the trash :(

Even though my drill grinding attachment is probably 30 years old, they are still available through Sears. If anyone is interested, here is a link: http://www.sears.com/general-drill-grinding-attachment/p-00925444000P?prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=G1

I give this tool the thumbs up :)

Bruce

Comments

• Ron CzapalaRon Czapala Posts: 2,418
    edited 2012-06-08 05:31
    I bought a Drill Doctor at Home Depot in 2008 and it does a fantastic job. They are more expensive now but still a good investment
  • idbruceidbruce Posts: 6,197
    edited 2012-06-08 05:46
    Ron

Very nice. Now I wish I had one of those. :) But you are right, they are expensive.

The tool I have is pretty time consuming, and now, I don't believe I have the patience to do this all day. I think I will have to sharpen them as I use them. I imagine with proper upkeep of the bits that it would probably amount to about a minute a bit, but some of my bits are in horrible shape.

Anyhow, thanks for the link and video.

Bruce
  • GordonMcCombGordonMcComb Posts: 3,366
    edited 2012-06-08 11:41
    Most of my work uses much smaller bits -- 3/16" or less -- where the main problem is keeping the bits straight, not sharp. I get TiN-coated bits by the dozen, and recycle the old ones. A bit will last about two months.

For larger bits, even at $140 for the Drill Doctor, that's overall cheaper than buying bits with fancy coatings. The coating will grind off anyway when resharpened, so you might as well get a cheaper set of steel bits, and sharpen as needed. Depending on the amount of drilling you do, the grinder will pay for itself in a year or so.

-- Gordon
    edited 2012-06-08 13:44
    Gordon

Yea that is a wonderful thought, a new set of numbered, lettered, and fractional bits, would be great. However my money is very tight until the patent sells. But once it sells, tool sales will sky rocket :)

In my opinion, I drill a lot of holes, in comparison to the normal guy or gal. Honestly, I am tired of drilling holes :( I need some serious CNC equipment.

Bruce
  • potatoheadpotatohead Posts: 10,260
    edited 2012-06-09 14:28
    If you can score a Rocklinizer type machine, it does spark gap material deposit of very hard materials at various thicknesses onto tool surfaces. I used to employ one very regularly for turret punch press tooling to extend tool life. It works on drill bits, mills, dies and other shear / cut type tools. On a drill, the material can be deposited on the inside edge of the cutting flute surface to bolster that cutting edge and prevent "slag" from piling up at that edge, thickening and dulling it. Preventing that reduces heat too.
  • lardomlardom Posts: 1,659
    edited 2012-06-09 21:03
    I have a drill doctor also. A sharp bit makes things so much easier.
    edited 2012-06-10 07:24
    Okay, I change my opinion of that tool. I now hate it with a severe passion.
    edited 2012-06-10 07:56
    idbruce wrote: »
    Okay, I change my opinion of that tool. I now hate it with a severe passion.

Which tool do you hate?

BTW, before I bought a Drill Doctor, I bought a cheapo sharpener from Harbor Freight - it was pathetic!! Got my money back at least.
  • lardomlardom Posts: 1,659
    edited 2012-06-10 08:05
    idbruce, I wish you luck with selling your patent. I'm trying to build a demand for the services I can offer with my own machine. It is a major challenge but I work on it daily.
    edited 2012-06-10 08:25
    Looks like Sears sells a basic Drill Doctor for $55 http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00928603000P?mv=rr
  • GordonMcCombGordonMcComb Posts: 3,366
    edited 2012-06-10 09:07
    Bruce, I think it comes down to "opportunity cost," and if it's cheaper overall to replace or sharpen when you also consider your time spent on things that don't directly make you money. I'm still using the same drill set I've had for 25+ years, and none have ever been sharpened as I seldom use the bits. For a couple of small ones it's just a better use of resources to replace them. These also use speed chuck shanks, for quicker bit changes.

I'm not paid by the hour, but by project, so the only way I can give myself a raise is to work more efficiently and get more done. The replacement bits end up costing a dollar or two per month, and I treat it as a business expense. (In fact, it's one of the least costly expenses in my business!) If I heavily used 1/4" or larger bits I'm sure I'd sharpen them rather than replace.

I drill a lot of holes, too, but on a CNC router that uses mill bits (and of course this is all with plastic, not metal). It's not a tool-changing rig, so one bit does all the holes. I replace it far more often than I'd like.

-- Gordon
    edited 2012-06-10 09:31
    Gordon

I have given up on the current resharpening method, because in my opinion, it is unreliable. Drill bits naturally get dull from repeated drilling. In some cases, it certainly would be more beneficial to just buy new bits,especially the smaller ones, but when you start talking about buying larger bits in individual quantites, well that can get expensive, and it is not always convenient. Over the last three years, I have replaced my bits when they got dull, but enough is enough. I just need a nice resharpening tool. I use a lot of numbered and lettered drill bits, which most stores don't carry. Luckily for me, local suppliers have at least started to stock a limited supply of the numbered drill bits, but the lettered drill bits are much harder to obtain. My current situation requires a letter B machine screw drill bit, and of course, I will have to wait until at least tomorrow to order it, and then it could take anywhere from a day to a week until it is delivered.

I will eventually purchase a drill doctor and some new bits and sharpen as required. However, for the smaller bits, that will always be a replacement.

Bruce
  • PliersPliers Posts: 280
    edited 2012-06-12 17:22
    I have a little bit of machining experience, mostly self taught. I'm wondering.... if a drill bit was used after it got dull, would it heat up enough to lose its temper (hardness)? Simply re sharping would not work because the metal has become soft.
    Just a thought.
  • Paul Sr.Paul Sr. Posts: 435
    edited 2012-06-15 05:35
    Correct! Once you heat it real good, it's NG without the temper
  • P!-RoP!-Ro Posts: 1,189
    edited 2012-06-23 10:49
    You could always correct that though by heating it with a torch and dropping it in oil.
  • $WMc%$WMc% Posts: 1,884
    edited 2012-07-06 18:42
    Re-tempering a drill bit is as much an art as hand sharping it.
    '
    I can hand sharping a drill-bit to factor specs.;Re-tempering not so much.One can quench grind past the Burt-up tip of a tool bit, But its very time consuming.
    '
    A good understanding of a speeds & feeds chart will prolong tool life tremendously.
    '
    Hand grinding works very well once you understand the cut angles and the relief angles. And the chiseling edged.
    '
    http://www.winsloweng.com/articles/drillChart_content.htm
    '
    http://www.cuttingtoolexpress.com/html/speeds_and_feeds_-_drilling.html
    '
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pW7kGFcM2sc
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2012-07-06 19:35
    P!-Ro wrote:
    You could always correct that though by heating it with a torch and dropping it in oil.
    ... assuming it's made from oil-hardening steel. It might be water-hardening.

-Phil
    edited 2012-07-06 19:40
    Additionally, it would need the proper temperature to be maintained for a specified period of time, to temper properly.
    edited 2012-07-06 19:48
    The thought of oil harding is the carbon release into the metal.
  • Jay KickliterJay Kickliter Posts: 446
    edited 2012-07-13 12:42
    Does anyone else sharpen bits freehand? I had a chief engineer who taught me how. All it takes is is a cheap gage and girding wheel. The trick is to dip the bit in water very frequently to keep it cool. There's something relaxing it about. I can stand there for hours sharpening bits other people destroyed.
  • IroneIrone Posts: 116
    edited 2012-07-19 03:13
    If you want to know the truth, I have been sharpening drill bits by hand since 1968. The smallest one I sharpened was .0145 inch in diameter. (no mistake it was smaller than 1/64) Now back then I was only 21 years old but I needed a microscope and a 220 grit wheel to get the job done. The largest one was 2 1/16 inches in diameter so the wheel had to be at least 1 1/2 inches wide and I believe 60 grit. Right now I am able to sharpen drill bits from 3/32 to 1/2 inch with only a magnifying glass attachment hooked to my bifocals to compare by eye the length of the flutes and the angle to hold size within .005 inch. (remember these eyes are close to 65 years old) Larger than 1/2 inch I use a drill gage to compare the angle (59 degrees) and the length of the flutes. From drill bits 3/16 inch and above I rotate the relief so you get that original bit shape. Less than 3/16 bits I just put a flat on them tapered for relief. Oh by the way, I am a retired machinist and spent 1/5 of my working years calculating speeds and feeds. Most shop owners get very disturbed if you burn up a cutter or larger drill by running it too fast. They also get out of shape if you run it too slow and do not have the correct feed because you are wasting time. Other than that they just get upset for no reason whatsoever.

Right now my friend and I put up a building at his farm and have a few mills, a couple of drill presses, three lathes, a lookalike Bridgeport, a surface grinder and some odds and ends attachments we bought to help out local farmers and make a couple of bucks. The only problem is that farmers hammer, weld, shim and altercate everything they own till it is so far out of shape that it cannot be repaired. I just go up a couple of times a week mostly to play and make attachments for my garden tractor or my grill.
  • Dave HeinDave Hein Posts: 6,347
    edited 2012-07-19 07:16
    When I was a teenager I would sharpen bits on a bench grinder without any extra alignment tools or fancy sharpening equipment, and it worked just fine! I also had to walk 10 miles to school and back home every day, uphill both ways, and I didn't complain about it!

Seriously though, when a bit gets to the point where it doesn't cut through metal anymore I just dress it up a bit on the grinder, and it works fine enough for my purposes. Of course I don't do detailed machining like some of you guys. If it was me, I would just use new bits for the precision work, and throw the dull bits in a drawer to be sharpened and used for projects that don't require high precision. Come to think of it, I do have a lot of old miscellaneous bits filling up a drawer in my garage. :)
  • LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2012-07-20 12:36
    Having worked in home construction where a run to the hardware store is a long way to go and a costly distraction, I learned how to get around dull steel twist drill bits.

Simply drill a pilot hole with a much smaller and sharper bit.

I have done this to get through 1/2" or so of mild steel with ease. First I would use a 1/8th drill bit, then follow up with the appropriate size - often quite large, like 1/2" diameter.

How does it work? Well the tip of the bit dulls first. So by drilling the pilot hole, the larger bit doesn't bounce off a dull point. And there are added benefits in using a small pilot hole. First, the drill bit stays centered on the pilot hole - no drift. And second, the two-step process is much faster and easier than sitting on a big drill bit and pushing with all your might.

In a pinch, emery cloth can sharpen smaller bits by hand if they are not it really bad shape. I've used a belt sander with 220 grit. You don't have to have a stone wheel.
    edited 2012-07-20 20:01
    Your Sposato use a pilot drill for larger drills
  • IroneIrone Posts: 116
    edited 2012-07-20 22:56
    G. Herzhog

What do you do if your 1/8 drill bit gets dull? Do you predrill with a 1/32 drill? I know drilling with a 1/2 inch drill is hard with a hand drill and I generally use a 3/16 drill first to make it easier but we are talking about dull cutting edges. Tools cut better with sharp cutting edges!!! Drills are easy to sharpen. Take a little bit of time and look at what you have started out with. These are generally called twist drills so most people thin you have to twist them to sharpen them. They are absolutely wrong. If you take a drill and hold it about the same angle on a grinding wheel ( or even a belt sander ) and roll it down you will get some relief. It has to be negative relief or it will not cut. DO NOT TWIST. DO NOT TAKE BIG CUTS. Take a small amount from one side and keeping your hand in the same position take another small amount from the opposite side. Keep this up until the angle is around 59 degrees and both sides look even. ( I am old so in my case I need magnifying glasses attached to my glasses ) Take your time, I found out early in my apprenticeship that if you keep your tools sharp you will wind up with a correct part which was done with little effort that was done in a small amount of time.
  • LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2012-07-22 10:45
    It is much cheaper to have a few spare 1/8" drills that to buy spare 1/2", 9/16", and larger drills to have on hand. Have you ever priced large drill bits for replacement?

As a carpenter, I would carry at least a dozen freshly sharpened circular saw blades for finish work and I would regularly have the crosscut and rip handsaws sharpened. Carbide blades are nice, but tend to be run until teeth are chipped and missing. Wood spade bits would be sharpened by hand with a file.

But there are those days when someone has a piece of steel that needs a bolt hole and out comes a set a rather neglected twist drills. 3/16 or 1/8 doesn't make much differences to me in a pilot hole - just the fast that the bit is small, good steel, and sharp.

When you carry around $1000 to $1500USD of tools to just stay employed, you tend to not want more weight and more costs.

I did mention that we'd use a belt sander to sharpen twist drills.