Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Help with Mr Bean's SX-Video OSD Module? — Parallax Forums

Help with Mr Bean's SX-Video OSD Module?

HulkHulk Posts: 68
edited 2012-06-08 18:17 in BASIC Stamp
I just found the subject part that I bought several years ago. I want to use it to overlay some temperature data from a DS1620 temperature chip. This will be used in combination with an internet -connected security camera system.
If someone has BS2 stamp code that gets me direct from DS1620 to mr Hitt's module that would be awesome, but any sample code for the OSD module would be very helpful.
Thanks in advance!

BTW, I've written code to display the temperature from 2 1620 chips to a Parallax Serial LCD so I'm not entirely clueless, but I don't write code often enough to get good at it so any help is appreciated.

Comments

• ercoerco Posts: 20,256
    edited 2012-06-07 15:57
    That's a good part, but the new Propeller backpack is much better, and already has built-in video overlay functions, FYI.

http://www.parallax.com/StoreSearchResults/tabid/768/List/0/SortField/4/ProductID/602/Default.aspx?txt
  • ZootZoot Posts: 2,227
    edited 2012-06-07 21:31
    Well, buying another module when you have one in front of you that just requires documentation doesn't seem quite right...

Hulk -- here is a link to PDF documentation for Bean's OSD module. There is sample Basic Stamp code in there that should get you started. I would break your program into two "test" pieces -- one that outputs (successfully) your overlay video and another program that correctly reads your sensor and just shows the sensor reading on your PC or LCD display (it seems you've done this part already). Don't share any pins between the two programs. Then it should not be difficult to combine the two to output your real-time sensor readings to the video overlay.

http://www.sparkfun.com/datasheets/DevTools/Hitt/SX%20Video%20OSD%20Module.pdf
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,256
    edited 2012-06-08 08:24
    Zoot wrote: »
    Well, buying another module when you have one in front of you that just requires documentation doesn't seem quite right...

Good call, Zoot. I did not realize that the SX video module had overlay capability built in, but I see from your link that it does. Noted for future reference.
  • HulkHulk Posts: 68
    edited 2012-06-08 18:17
    Zoot,
    Thanks for finding some helpful documentation. I think I can make it work with this information.

Erco,
    I haven't dived in to anything "Propeller" yet. This might be a good time to break the ice. Thanks for the suggestion!