Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
BS2 and VFD graphical display — Parallax Forums

BS2 and VFD graphical display

robban35robban35 Posts: 32
edited 2012-06-07 07:31 in BASIC Stamp
Hi!

I wonder if someone could help me figure out how to attach this VFD display to a Basic Stamp 2
See attached PDF

I also would like to know how the programming should look like...

since the parallell circut uses many io:s on the bs2 i prefer async or SPI communication.

/Robban

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2012-06-07 07:20
    Have you read the documentation you provided? It shows you how to connect the VFD under the title "ASYNCHRONOUS SERIAL COMMUNICATION". You need at least 2 I/O pins, one for transmitting data to the VFD, one for receiving data from the VFD. The others are optional You'd send data to the VFD using the SEROUT statement and receive data from the VFD using the SERIN statement.

You should be able to figure out the programming from the Stamp Manual and the VFD documentation. The VFD should work mostly like other serial display modules, at least for simple text. The commands to control the display are unique to this display, but the idea is the same. For example, to change the cursor position to <X,Y>, you'd do

SEROUT pin,Baud,[$10,X,Y]

where pin is the I/O pin used to send to the VFD and Baud is the constant shown in the Stamp Manual section on SEROUT used for the Baud that's set by you in the VFD module.

Remember to connect HB to MB if you're not going to use them and leave /RES unconnected so the module will automatically reset when it's powered up.
  • robban35robban35 Posts: 32
    edited 2012-06-07 07:23
    hi!

Yes i have read it several times ,but my question is..i just want to send data TO the display. do i need to put an serin line for the TXD connection ?
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2012-06-07 07:31
    I don't think so. The "from display" line looks like it's for responses from the display to specific commands. If you don't send those commands, it's not needed. In other words, you ought to be able to get by with just power and a single data line from the Stamp to the VFD. Remember to leave /RES unconnected and HB has to be somehow connected to a low level. You can connect it to MB or you can connect it through a 10K resistor to ground.