Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Need large scale robotic tank style treads — Parallax Forums

Need large scale robotic tank style treads

tobdectobdec Posts: 267
edited 2012-10-01 07:32 in General Discussion
Searched high and low for a budget solution....basically I am build around a 150 bot and want tank style treads similar to those used in surveilance bots and the military. OBviously I don't expect that quality...id even be up for making them myself. Anybody got any bright ideas or good links?

Comments

• ElectricAyeElectricAye Posts: 4,561
    edited 2012-06-06 07:06
    You might find some how-to DIY links on the following page:

http://www.rctankcombat.com/articles/
  • tobdectobdec Posts: 267
    edited 2012-06-06 07:10
    I've allready been all over that site. The problem is alot of these systems are just too flimsy for my bot....these combat tanks are made of wood and plastic. Mine will be made of heavy steel and deep cycle batteries...I just don't see any of their designs holding up over time.....except maybe that pre-made food conveyor system....but that company wants to sell me like a whole crate....
  • Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2012-06-06 07:53
    The only treads I've seen that are stronger than the chain treads are the Mattracks. But I think they are very expensive.

They make Mattracks for ATVs which might be about the right size. I think theses tracks cost about (if not more) than the vehicles they go on.
  • GadgetmanGadgetman Posts: 2,436
    edited 2012-06-06 08:29
    Take a long piece of 'U' shaped(whatever those square pieces with one side missing are called), cut it into pieces about the length of each thread.
    Drill holes in the walls.
    Find some flat steel of the same thickness and width, and cut into similar sized pieces.
    Drill holes in each end.
    Get a whole lot of metal bolts and nuts. Also get a long pipe with an inner diameter slightly wider than the bolts.
    Cut pipe into pieces that fits snugly between the walls of the U profiles.
    Place the U profiles one after another, with a short gap between them.
    Place a steel flat one either side of the Us, and so that they both span the gap to the next.
    Push a bolt throuh the holes(which should line up perfectly), making certain to tread a piece of pipe onto thee bolt.
    Nut on the outside. Feel free to use nylock nuts...
    Tht gets you a long chain.
    Now weld or bolt plates onto the 'bottoms' of the U shapes...
    Finally, get some drive sprockets that mest perfectly with the pipe pieces...

Just brainfarting...
    edited 2012-06-06 08:51
    Gadgetman wrote: »
    Take a long piece of 'U' shaped(whatever those square pieces with one side missing are called), cut it into pieces about the length of each thread.
    Drill holes in the walls.
    Find some flat steel of the same thickness and width, and cut into similar sized pieces.
    Drill holes in each end.
    Get a whole lot of metal bolts and nuts. Also get a long pipe with an inner diameter slightly wider than the bolts.
    Cut pipe into pieces that fits snugly between the walls of the U profiles.
    Place the U profiles one after another, with a short gap between them.
    Place a steel flat one either side of the Us, and so that they both span the gap to the next.
    Push a bolt throuh the holes(which should line up perfectly), making certain to tread a piece of pipe onto thee bolt.
    Nut on the outside. Feel free to use nylock nuts...
    Tht gets you a long chain.
    Now weld or bolt plates onto the 'bottoms' of the U shapes...
    Finally, get some drive sprockets that mest perfectly with the pipe pieces...

Just brainfarting...
    Good idea....id most likly have to make the drive sprockets though.
    edited 2012-06-06 08:54
    Hey gadget man im not exactly clear on your concept..any chance you could slap together a rough paint drawing?
  • jdoleckijdolecki Posts: 726
    edited 2012-06-06 09:03
    The largest non commercial ones are from snow blowers.

After that you get into Small construction equipment. Like powered wheel barrows, mini excavators new are 600+ dollars each.

Old snow blowers are your best choice you can get a whole machine for 150 plus you get the drive wheels

My old one with wheel chair motors to drive it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IUOcqocCKM

photo(5).jpg
    photo(6).jpg
    1024 x 765 - 102K
    1024 x 765 - 79K
    edited 2012-06-06 09:04
    jdolecki wrote: »
    The largest non commercial ones are from snow blowers.

After that you get into Small construction equipment. Like powered wheel barrows, mini excavators new are 600+ dollars each.

Old snow blowers are your best choice you can get a whole machine for 150 plus you get the drive wheels

photo(5).jpg
    photo(6).jpg
    Very interesting...
    edited 2012-06-06 09:18
    That was litteraly exactly what I needed. The honda ones are an exact match for my shafts and through pin hookup...they are litteraly a perfect match! Just gota order it all now! Thanks bro!
  • LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2012-06-06 09:42
    For years now, I have been looking at automotive timing belts as good candidates for tank treads. You turn them inside out and the corregated surface would be where the rubber meets the road. The inside of the belt would be smooth and carried along on ball bearings that are the width of the belt with washers a bit larger diameter than the ball bearings holding the belts in place. The drive would be the same as for the timing chain (I presume automotive salvage of the drive gear) and would be on the upper side of the tracks return.

But I guess I am late posting and these are too small - oh well....
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,256
    edited 2012-09-30 18:55
    Homemade wooden treads & drive cogs: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xUp-JRW_2s

Anybody try cable carrier for ready-made treads? Cheap and readily available: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cable-drag-chain-wire-carrier-10-10mm-R28-1000mm-40-/110739289334?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19c89374f6

I have a bunch, perhaps I'll get to it before Duane does?
  • xanaduxanadu Posts: 3,347
    edited 2012-10-01 07:32
    Everytime I see a tracks post I also wonder, what about wheels? Tracks seem to only look cool, but for functionality you have hurdles and breakdowns.

This guy has a bunch of tracks for sale, I think you would like them. - http://www.disneydreaming.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/Justin-Bieber-My-World.jpg

I like the snowblower idea, just rememember that won't work well inside where most testing is done. Skid steering tracks on a 150lbs robot is gonna leave a mark.