Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Has anyone done some work with inertial guidance? — Parallax Forums

Has anyone done some work with inertial guidance?

JeffPJeffP Posts: 6
edited 2012-06-12 09:10 in Robotics
I'm working on a mobile bot. I want to prevent wheel slippage from inducing course changes, and I'm thinking of adding inertial guidance using the L3G4200D MEMS gyro. My plan is to accumulate course error (measured from yaw changes) and feed that back into a PID controller on the wheel drive motors.

Has anyone done something like this, preferably on a Propeller? I'm wondering if the gyro is accurate enough for this application.

Comments

• Tom CTom C Posts: 461
    edited 2012-06-03 14:08
    @JeffP,

You might want to look at this rover guidance project that was started in North Texas back in 2005: http://www.geology.smu.edu/dpa-www/robo/jbot/index.html
    It does not use a Propeller, but the theory and algorithms will work for any processor.

Regards,
    TCIII
  • prof_brainoprof_braino Posts: 4,313
    edited 2012-06-03 17:33
    JeffP wrote: »
    I'm working on a mobile bot. I want to prevent wheel slippage from inducing course changes, and I'm thinking of adding inertial guidance using the L3G4200D MEMS gyro. My plan is to accumulate course error (measured from yaw changes) and feed that back into a PID controller on the wheel drive motors.

Has anyone done something like this, preferably on a Propeller? I'm wondering if the gyro is accurate enough for this application.

Please post your sources, work, and findings. This is a big deal, and I think a bunch of folks would be interested.

If you are interested in writing and testing drivers for the various sensors (I think you end up needing more than just a gyro) I would be interested in helping out if I can find similar parts.
  • RaymanRayman Posts: 14,150
    edited 2012-06-12 09:10
    I've been meaning to do this for a while with a 3AD accelerometer and a 3-axis gyro from vanmunch. But, still haven't gotten to it yet...