Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
basic stamp gps module and maps — Parallax Forums

basic stamp gps module and maps

robban35robban35 Posts: 32
edited 2012-06-01 03:40 in BASIC Stamp
HI

Is it possible to add maps for the gps module and make like a "ordinary" gps with voice, maps etc...?
if so...how?

robban

Comments

• ercoerco Posts: 20,256
    edited 2012-05-30 03:03
    Anything is "possible" with unlimited time & resources, but that would be an exercise in frustration when you can buy a brand new GPS unit (OK, last year's model) for less than the price of a BS2. I got a nice Magellan talking touch screen 2 years ago off Ebay for $40, works great. Best I can find right now is just under $50 (w/ship): http://www.ebay.com/itm/Magellan-RoadMate-1210-Automotive-GPS-Receiver-/120915731754?pt=GPS_Devices&hash=item1c2723a52a
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2012-05-30 07:00
    There are a variety of sound player chips that can be controlled by a Stamp, so a Stamp can be equipped with a small vocabulary of spoken words. You can attach something like the Parallax Memory Stick Datalogger so that the Stamp can have large amounts of storage available ... slow, but available. How would you add maps? You'd have to make your own or buy the files. If you buy them, you'd have to figure out their format ... most of them are proprietary and their formats are not published. The Stamps have limited memory and are relatively slow. How would they search the database of information at any "reasonable speed"? If you were doing this for a demonstration project for a class or term project, this would be something you could do, but as a useful tool ... forget it.
  • robban35robban35 Posts: 32
    edited 2012-05-31 05:43
    ok, is it possible to to "catch" driving directions from a bluetooth device using basic stamp /propeller?

i intend to make a heads up display like this:

c9bde_bmw%20hud.JPG
    616 x 425 - 144K
    edited 2012-05-31 06:29
    What do you mean by "catch driving directions"? How are the directions sent via Bluetooth? Are you talking about audio sent via Bluetooth to headphones? If so, forget it. It's way too difficult.
    edited 2012-05-31 08:44
    sorry, no as you can see in the picture i just want speed, driving directions (only arrows) and time to turn......

basically just speed with Turn By Turn directions....

the audio i get from my bluetooth device directly so that is not needed in the Basic stamp
    edited 2012-05-31 08:50
    So how are you going to get the information via Bluetooth? The Bluetooth interfaces that are available for use with the Stamp only talk serial I/O. Does your GPS unit have the ability to send serial data via Bluetooth?
    edited 2012-06-01 03:40
    i am planning to use my htc smartphone , have googled around this bluetooth but cant seem to find anything about the bluetooth signals.