Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
A Three Axis Camera Position Tower — Parallax Forums

A Three Axis Camera Position Tower

ScopeScope Posts: 417
edited 2012-06-03 15:54 in Robotics
Yes, I know it's been done before, and performed by those who have more experience and skills than I'll ever probably possess but I'm creating "my version" of a camera tower, only with marginal influence from similar items.

Here's a brief summary of what's been done thus far:

--> Conceptual hand-generated sketches -- ideas have been documented, discovered, and developed
--> Concept CAD modeling -- several details have been worked out
--> Proof of Concept prototype -- few parts cut and assembled
--> Electronics acquisition -- I've got a Propeller board, 2 stepper motors, and several other items "en route"
--> Hardware acquisition -- Items already on hand for the PoC prototype (as much as possible), then moving on to serious materials and processing when PoC is deemed successful and end result is constructed

My experience with programming the Propeller is very limited and took place about 2 years ago (?) so, I'll be a true green horn when it comes to converting this idea into a reality from several points of view.

Motivating this project are two primary goals:

#1 --> I need a very good, recently created artifact to enhance & update my portfolio (I'm employed but looking for my dream job)
#2 --> I want to give something useful to my son who is a professional photographer

Here's a very fast PoC CAD model (image below). I'll post more as the project unfolds & thanks for allowing me to share this exciting project.

Honestly, this is significantly difficult for me, a stumbling block to "share" what I'm doing because I feel so inadequate compared to virtually everyone here. Regardless, I'm really too old to care about trivial and personal embarrassment so, here goes!

Thanks,

Brad

2uid92o.jpg

Comments

• ercoerco Posts: 20,255
    edited 2012-05-24 16:39
    Brad, be sure to check the thread on the Microsoft/Eddie contest winner: http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?140288-Microsoft-anounces-its-Home-Robotics-contest-winner.
  • ScopeScope Posts: 417
    edited 2012-05-27 15:39
    Woo hoo!

My propller QuickStart arrived yesterday and my fourth program did this (click photo to see the animation):

th_scopectpoc001-Desktop.jpg

The stepper motors & driver (?) should arrive Tuesday but I'll have to work Tues & Wed :(
  • Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2012-05-27 16:16
    I've often wondered why so many of us like to watch LEDs bounce back and forth like that. I think the cylon eye LED chaser is one of the first programs many people write for their QuickStart boards (myself included). I personally can't get enough LEDs.

I didn't like the way the LEDs flickered with the standard demo program for the QuickStart. The way the touchpads behave seem to be dependent on climate and a person's moisture content. My modified QuickStart demo seems to behave pretty well were I live and with my skin and it doesn't flicker like the original demo program. There are links to a bunch of other QuickStart projects in the thread I just linked to.
    edited 2012-05-27 17:57

I'm just glancing through the tutorials at Gangsta's web page to relearn what little I used to know about the phenomenal Propeller.

This is sssooo fun!
    :)

• IamretiredIamretired Posts: 56
    edited 2012-05-29 13:37
    My Quickstart did the same thing when I got it. Just hold down the reset button and it will stop.
    John
    edited 2012-06-03 15:54

I've been able to make a little more progress.

bwtc5a01.jpg

I am a little confused --> post progress here or post progress using a blog? I think I'll use a blog for the progress and this forum for questions. Is that the best way to post/receive information?