Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
speech output — Parallax Forums

speech output

mikeamikea Posts: 283
edited 2012-05-21 18:08 in Propeller 1
Hi, i'm learning the propeller and would like some advice on how to best output speech. I found an object on obex " AYcog - AY3891X / YM2149F emulator V0.8 (C) 2012 Johannes Ahlebrand " , I'm not sure where to start with this, or if it's right for me. I have an 8 ohm mini speaker from radio shack to work with.Any advice would be appreciated.- mike

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2012-05-21 14:32
    There's also a speech synthesizer object that handles multiple parts in stereo and comes with an example of "singing monks" doing 4-parts. There's a front end to the synthesizer that translates phonemes into the parameters needed for the synthesizer, but I don't have a link to it. Perhaps someone else has that.

You didn't say what sort of audio output circuitry you're using. Some Propeller boards only have a monaural output at line level which needs amplification. Some Propeller boards have stereo outputs at line level and some have enough power for stereo headphones, but would need some amplification for a speaker. For headphone output, you could use any amplified speakers that might be sold for use with a PC or MP3 player. For line level, something similar would work. In either case, you could use something like an LM386 or more recent equivalent. These are sold at RadioShack and come with instructions and a parts list for the necessary resistors and capacitor.
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2024-07-14 18:07
  • mikeamikea Posts: 283
    edited 2012-05-21 14:53
    Thanks Mike, i have the proffesional development board that has a headphone jack. I have computer speakers with their own power supply, would that be safe to plug into the headphone jack on the board without frying anything? Do you know of any tutorials relating to speech output or text to speech in spin?-mike
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2012-05-21 15:30
    There are no Parallax tutorials. You might find some on the Internet with a Google search or in the Wikipedia.

Yes, amplified speakers with their own power supply should work fine. They're made for this sort of use.
  • mikeamikea Posts: 283
    edited 2012-05-21 15:50
    I did find a tutorial from gadget gangster that is a good starting point. Thank you for the help. -mike
  • Jack BuffingtonJack Buffington Posts: 115
    edited 2012-05-21 15:55
    I spent a considerable amount of time working with the vocal tract. If you are the only one working with it, you can get used to its accent. If others have to listen to it, then they are going to have difficulty understanding it because it just doesn't do a good job of creating fricative sounds and there isn't enough processing power left over to do better than Chip did. I'm sure that it is possible because my Apple II+ could generate more understandable speech with a slower 8-bit processor. I just wasn't willing to spend the time to completely rewrite a vocal tract. In the end, I opted to store pre-recorded samples on a SD card, which is completely understandable.
  • Dr_AculaDr_Acula Posts: 5,484
    edited 2012-05-21 16:36
    One cheap and cheerful solution I used years ago on a Windows95 machine was to download some free speech synthesis programs to your PC. There were lots back then and I'm sure there are even more now. Type in the text and save as a .wav file. Put all those .wav files on an SD card and then use one of the .wav players in the obex to play them. You can put together simple sentences by prerecording common things like numbers, then just play the .wav files one after the other.
  • xanaduxanadu Posts: 3,347
    edited 2012-05-21 18:08
    Wow Phil, how have I not seen that before! Way cool!
  • @"Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)" said:
    Here's a link to the phonemic speech synthesizer: http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?89411

-Phil

@VonSzarvas
    Hi, is there a way to find this page? The link is broken, like others, which refer to that page.
    Many Thanks!
    Christof

• @"Christof Eb." said:

@"Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)" said:
    Here's a link to the phonemic speech synthesizer: http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?89411

-Phil

@VonSzarvas
    Hi, is there a way to find this page? The link is broken, like others, which refer to that page.
    Many Thanks!
    Christof

Try this:
    https://forums.parallax.com/discussion/89411/phonemic-speech-synthesis-3rd-installment-7-nov-2006/p1

I'll update the links in this thread whilst I'm here.

• @VonSzarvas said:

@"Christof Eb." said:

@"Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)" said:

-Phil

@VonSzarvas
    Many Thanks!
    Christof

Try this:
    https://forums.parallax.com/discussion/89411/phonemic-speech-synthesis-3rd-installment-7-nov-2006/p1

I'll update the links in this thread whilst I'm here.

Thank you! Great!