Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
A PropForth Robot Control Vocabulary — Parallax Forums

A PropForth Robot Control Vocabulary

nglordinglordi Posts: 114
edited 2012-05-21 18:19 in Robotics
Since I have three Parallax robotic platforms (PropBoeBot, Stingray and Eddie) at my disposal, I was interested in developing a common control language which could be applied to any propeller controlled robot. IMOH, this could be most efficiently accomplished using forth. Consequently, I am posting preliminary PropForth 5 robot control vocabularies for these three platforms.

Attachment pfrcboe.txt illustrates my general approach as applied to the PropBoeBot. My BoeBot has encoders, bumpers, and a servo controlled ping. The program operates in four cogs: one for the servo-controlled wheels, one for the ping servo, one for the ping & bumpers, and the fourth for the encoders.

Attachments pfrcsr.txt and pfrceda.txt apply to the Stingray and Eddie, respectively. Both platforms have 3 pings in fixed positions facing left, front, and right. The Eddie has three Sharp IR distance detectors and two wheel encoders. The Stingray motor controller requires 2 pins per motor, where the PWM signal is switched between the two pins to change direction. However, the Eddie uses 3 pins per motor, two of which control direction.

Attachment pfrc_doc.rft describes the robot control vocabulary and its use. Note that the Eddie encoder words are still under development and no provision has been made as yet to allow for user errors. The PropForth eeprom version is installed on the robot control boards to allow storage of the rc vocabularies on the eeprom. Wireless communication between the robots and a terminal use XBees. My objective is to develop a core rc vocabulary which would be added to the PropForth kernel installed on the robot control boards.

NickL

Comments

• RobotWorkshopRobotWorkshop Posts: 2,307
    edited 2012-05-21 14:06
    If you haven't set the vocabulary in stone yet you may want to take a look at the old Androbot Forth used to control the TOPO II and III robots. They had a wide range of commands and if you used the same commands in Theory it could run some of the same programs that TOPO did.

Robert
  • prof_brainoprof_braino Posts: 4,313
    edited 2012-05-21 18:19
    Very cool stuff!