Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Robopocalypse Book & Movie — Parallax Forums

Robopocalypse Book & Movie

ercoerco Posts: 20,255
edited 2012-06-11 21:58 in Robotics
Maybe more than an iRobot reboot, since the author (a CMU fellow) claims to be a real roboticist.

http://www.roboticstrends.com/research_academics/article/robots_robopocalypse/?utm_source=RoboTrendsWeekly&utm_medium=email

Comments

• GeorgeCollinsGeorgeCollins Posts: 132
    edited 2012-05-22 07:07
    He is a real roboticist. He did his PhD at Carnegie Mellon on robotics in assisted living. I haven't read Robocolypse but his earlier book, "How to Survive a Robot Uprising" was full of fact based advice on how to defeat robots. It was kind of a less funny Zombie Survival Guide though, which is why I didn't read the novel. The movie could be very unrealistic, because he has no control over that.

I heard an interview with him in which he mentioned that he felt a little guilty for playing into people's fears about robots. He apparently wrote a scene where a driving robot is running people down on purpose. He knows that the sooner people accept robot cars, the sooner thousands of lives will be saved from preventable accidents. At the same time he is feeding the phobias that will delay it.
  • PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2012-06-03 16:10
    Just read Robopocoalype. (Thanks erco for that one). Book now back at the library.

Now I have to get on a plane and spend many hours in the airports with connections.

I have gone through most Asimov, Chrichton, Michener, Bradbury, and Ayn Rand books.

What's to read next?

Jim

• ercoerco Posts: 20,255
    edited 2012-06-03 17:38
    A Canticle for Liebowitz is an old-school, cold war mind-blower and still one of my faves. No robots, but Blackeneth and the Atomic Flame Deluge are to die for.
  • vanmunchvanmunch Posts: 568
    edited 2012-06-11 21:34
    erco wrote: »
    A Canticle for Liebowitz is an old-school, cold war mind-blower and still one of my faves. No robots, but Blackeneth and the Atomic Flame Deluge are to die for.

I agree, I read it in high school after seeing the cover art of a 1970? paper back while going through a book pile in the libary. Great book!
  • msrobotsmsrobots Posts: 3,709
    edited 2012-06-11 21:58
    Robert A. Heinlein, Phillip K. Dick, Jules Verne ...'

Edit: ups. how could I forget Larry Niven ...

Enjoy!

Mike