Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Anyone Up for RoboCombat at Parallax Expo 2013? — Parallax Forums

Anyone Up for RoboCombat at Parallax Expo 2013?

ercoerco Posts: 20,255
edited 2012-05-29 20:46 in Robotics
These RoboGames guys are having way too much fun. Matt, for Expo 2013, please build an indoor arena with cameras for BoeBot-sized robots (use the crawler kit) for airsoft pellets & flamethrowers. Game on!

http://www.parallax.com/StoreSearchResults/tabid/768/List/0/SortField/4/ProductID/314/Default.aspx?txtSearch=walker+kit

Comments

• GordonMcCombGordonMcComb Posts: 3,366
    edited 2012-05-17 09:10
    Dude, you realize several of those bots are made of PLASTIC! I'm surprised you'd even post a video of them.

On the other hand, the "stampy" at about 7:15 reminds me how cute that design is. (And it's metal.)

Yes,. mech warrior for Expo 2013. I like the fact that they don't try to bash each other's heads (MCUs) in -- a crazy thought for 3DOF walking bots that cost in excess of $750, and made of PLASTIC. Projectile mayhem looks so much more fun!

-- Gordon
  • TtailspinTtailspin Posts: 1,326
    edited 2012-05-17 09:27
    Gee, I don't know, I was thinking along the lines of a Flower picking contest,
    or maybe see which robot arm can knit a pair of mittens the fastest..
    Oh, oh, I know.. lets see whose robot can draw a peace sign the quickest...

Besides, how are you going to compete against Phils S2 Marauder? Your doomed before it even starts...:smile:

edit: Now that I think about it, smashing up cheap plastic robots might be kinda fun.

-Tommy
  • Matt GillilandMatt Gilliland Posts: 1,406
    edited 2012-05-17 09:32
    I like it :thumb:

In fact, let's get schools involved too - even ones that can't attend in person - they could ship their "warrior" and we'll designate some of you Forumistas that are attending Expo to be their "local pit crews".

Example: UofTennessee wants to enter but can't attend in person. Duane or Tommy or erco or (anyone who wants to volunteer to be their "champion"), receives, preps, charges-up and fixes the warriors for battle. They would be controlled remotely by the builders who could not make it here.

Should be multiple classes: "micro, mini, heavy and super" - just thinking out loud here...
    -MattG
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,255
    edited 2012-05-17 09:53
    I learned way back in 1988 that to encourage participation in vehicle/robot demolition derbies, we had to start with a solid, purchasable chassis to keep things even. Then people can go nuts with their weapons.
  • vanmunchvanmunch Posts: 568
    edited 2012-05-17 19:43
    The guys over at Trossen's have quite a bit of experiance and information setting these things up. I'm preaty sure they organized the first one. Here's a link to their forum on Mech Warfare:
    http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/forumdisplay.php?121-Mech-Warfare

Maybe invite them to host a tournament at UPEW?
  • mindrobotsmindrobots Posts: 6,506
    edited 2012-05-17 20:16
    Can't we just gather all our robots and seek a harmonic convergence...or a sub-harmonic convergence????

Kumbuyah!
    edited 2012-05-17 20:19
    I'm all for Tommy's bitchin' mitten knittin' competition'... :)
  • MacTuxLinMacTuxLin Posts: 821
    edited 2012-05-17 22:10
    Hmm ... everywhere I turn, it seems majority of us just want to see humanoid robot fight. A decent robot doesn't seems appreciated :(

OK, I'll convert Matanya to MechTacker for RoboGames Parallax Expo 2013 .... so who's gonna sponsor MechTacker :D
    edited 2012-05-19 10:22
    This sounds very interesting, I would absolutely be champion for anyone willing to try this.

MacTuxLin (anyone) if you ship a MechTacker, and any necessary operating instructions,
    I will ensure it arrives and competes in Rocklin for whatever competition dreamed up by the devious MattG and his robot wrecking cohort Daniel Harris...

Be it cage fighting Mech Warriors, or Four wheel drive Line Following, I will champion any Robot sent to me.
    I will treat any robot sent to me as if it were my own. I will be very nice to your robot..

we could easily keep communication open via the Internet and this forum, so it would be almost as if you were at the event.
    And, there is so much knowledge available at any Parallax Expo, that any repairs or adjustments would be done by
    group consensus. In other words, If it breaks, We can fix it... except of course if it's terminal...

Any prizes won or awarded, will be 100% yours. I am only there as a proxy for you.

Your only problem is Shipping, in both directions. I will recover any and all scattered remains(including ashes).
    Repack said debris and ship them back to you, on your dime.

This is a genuine offer. I would love to see a line of robots waiting to use the Line Following track...:thumb:

I understand that you don't know me from jack, so if there is a concern about my integrity, :cool:
    maybe perhaps arrangements with the good folks at Parallax could be arranged to step in and receive the shipping of your high dollar robots. On your dime of course.

-Tommy
  • Mike4421Mike4421 Posts: 131
    edited 2012-05-19 10:50
    looks like the defence department is up and running....... anyone up for the science area..... example: make are own version of the Mars Rover, out of Basic Stamps, and Propeller micros...... before we make the Enterprise to load all those bad bots up and take over the universe, we need tools for science (ray gun will be neat ,but cannot make it out of thin air...)
    edited 2012-05-20 08:28
    Ttailspin wrote: »
    MacTuxLin (anyone) if you ship a MechTacker, and any necessary operating instructions,
    I will ensure it arrives and competes in Rocklin for whatever competition dreamed up by the devious MattG and his robot wrecking cohort Daniel Harris...
    -Tommy

OK Tommy. Its a deal then. How about the weight category? Won't want an unfair fight ...
    edited 2012-05-20 08:45
    The weight category is entirely up to your shipping budget...
    I have access to some very large ten wheelers, and a variety of lift trucks (fork lifts), so weight is a non issue... :)

-Tommy
  • mindrobotsmindrobots Posts: 6,506
    edited 2012-05-20 08:54
    Tommy,

If I get anything built that is worthy of competing at Rocklin next year, I'll take you up on your offer. I can ship a robot to Rocklin, I just acan't afford to ship myself there....if you do get a VERY large box from me, however, do open it QUICKLY!!!! :)

Tommy's reputation is sterling....he hangs around with MattG....wait, maybe shouldn't mention that!
    edited 2012-05-20 09:00
    Mine will be under the Humanoid Kung-Fu light-weight category....
    edited 2012-05-20 09:17
    I guess I should mention, If you do ship live cargo, please, please, notify me in advance...

When I ship Koi fish, I knock them out with some clove oil, and then wrap them up in a wet towel, put them into a large plastic bag,
    and put a shot of oxygen into the bag, seal the bag, put that in a well padded box, then same day ship.
    They are good for three to four days like this... so that is something to keep in mind..

-Tommy
  • Nick ErnstNick Ernst Posts: 138
    edited 2012-05-24 15:24
    Quad copters armed with paintball guns for dog fighting would be interesting...I wonder if Rick would be up for it with his Gatling-gun!!
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,387
    edited 2012-05-24 15:51
    If you guys want some kind of combat/destruction demonstration at the next EXPO consider us supportive. I can make sure we build some internal support and address any safety issues. Nick might need to lobby the adjacent landowner depending on the scope of the idea (like if it's airborne) but that's likely not a problem either.

Ken Gracey
    edited 2012-05-24 16:37
    I was initially pitching small-scale ground-based BoeBots shooting airsoft pellets through each other's aluminum foil armor, but the thought of flying flamethrowers & chainsaws is somewhat captivating. :)
    edited 2012-05-28 07:34
    Thats right, SAFETY FIRST... Barrel Plugs, Safety Goggles, No freezing the ammunition.. ect. ect...

No need for any tricks, Because the simple fact is, You can't wipe a welt...
    Cant_Wipe_a_Welt.jpg

-Tommy
    531 x 1008 - 402K
    edited 2012-05-28 11:44
    That's not a welt, it's a nipple!

You might just be related to the Nutria family, a swamp rat with nipples on its back... I'd get myself checked. :)
    edited 2012-05-29 20:46
    So, It's "rat" is it?
    P1010032.jpg
    1000 x 750 - 606K
    1024 x 768 - 108K