Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Scribbler/Boe Bot Maze Memory — Parallax Forums

Scribbler/Boe Bot Maze Memory

ercoerco Posts: 20,256
edited 2012-05-16 13:27 in Robotics
Has anyone here actually written code to make a Scribbler or BoeBot explore & map a maze (wall or line) to memeory so that it can take the shortest path the second time? Many requests from noobs in the forum.

Surely it has been done with other Bots (3pi smokes it). Encoders would definitely help, but probably possible without.

I may have a go at it unless someone stops me.

Comments

• Martin_HMartin_H Posts: 4,051
    edited 2012-05-16 10:17
    erco wrote: »
    Has anyone here actually written code to make a Scribbler or BoeBot explore & map a maze (wall or line) to memeory so that it can take the shortest path the second time? Many requests from noobs in the forum.

Surely it has been done with other Bots (3pi smokes it). Encoders would definitely help, but probably possible without.

I may have a go at it unless someone stops me.

Could this be the start of "Erco's Amazing Challenge"?

I say go for it. It's been on my to do list for quite some time and the CBA was made for this sort of thing. But keeps falling to the bottom of the list.
  • ZootZoot Posts: 2,227
    edited 2012-05-16 12:26
    Yes, I seem to remember a project that used the "left turn" rule and kept truck of the number of left/right turns and the number of pulses gone in straight lines (perhaps). The route was saved to EEPROM and then reparsed on the second 'round to get a faster outcome.

Yes, here it is:

http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?112094

and here is the relatively simple theory:

http://www.richardvannoy.info/line-maze-algorithm.pdf

Thing is, I *know* I recall seeing Stamp code for this method at one time.
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,256
    edited 2012-05-16 13:27
    XLNT lead, Zoot. Thanks.

Now, do you recall seeing any Stamp code to make a BoeBot hover in place? :)