Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Sensorless BLDC controller — Parallax Forums

Sensorless BLDC controller

Mark_TMark_T Posts: 1,981
edited 2012-10-28 08:12 in Robotics
I've been working for a few weeks now on the idea of a homebrew (and open-source) BLDC (brushless motor) controller for sensorless motors (no hall sensors, as used in RC planes/copters). Partly motivated by wanting to be able to tune the response of the controller for multi-copter use, partly for the challenge.

The ultimate aim is to use one Prop to control 4 motors, though the current scheme uses 9 pins to control one motor (and doesn't have over-current detect yet)...

Anyway here's a video before I get to the boring details: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iC4W5s7clCQ

I started with a 3-phase bridge made from 6 IRLR3717's (n-channel, 20V, 0.004ohm) and experimented with a RC motor driven at about 1V (so all the MOSFETs could be driven from logic levels). So I got open-loop control working - but of course without closed-loop control the motor would stall at the slightest provocation.

Next step was to add a FAN7388 3-phase MOSFET driver chip - very straightforward device, capable of driving up to 600V inverter apparently, 12V didn't seem to stress it... With 12V and 0.15 ohm motor windings current-limiting is essential, which meant adding PWM to the controller - in order to keep the back-EMF feedback voltages centred about mid-supply I PWM'd high and low MOSFETs simultaneously - means that the built-in MOSFET diodes are conducting during the PWM off periods, which might become an issue.

Much experimentation with different ways to close the loop. Basic idea is use a LM339 quad-comparator to detect when each phase crosses mid-supply and have the Prop chip look at the idle phase's comparator output and detect the change - this avoids any need for ADCs. One comparator is left over to use for over-current detection in the future (an ACS711 will do the measurement). I also experimented with making the PWM pulses synchronous to the commutation but in the end simple was best so long as PWM frequency significantly higher than commutation frequency.

Remaining to do is lock-detection - currently if the controller loses lock with the motor it goes into a semi-chaotic state not aware that anything is wrong - this needs detection and a lock-recapture mechanism needs developing.

Also remaining to do is reducing the pin-count from the Prop to allow 4 controllers on one Prop. A shift register can reduce the 6 output pins to 3 (clk, data, pwm) and using wired-and on the open-collector comparator outputs could be used so that over-current means all phase feedback lines are pulled low (this isn't a normal state) so no extra pin is needed beyond the 3 for the phases. Thus 6 pins per motor, I hope.

I note there's a past thread on this: http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?133499-Sensorless-Brushless-Motor-Control-using-a-propeller-Anyone-done-it

Comments

• SRLMSRLM Posts: 5,045
    edited 2012-05-13 16:41
    I'd be interested in a Propeller based 4xBLDC controller. Specifically, it would be really nice if it could output RPM data to a host controller. Currently I'm using the Eagle Tree sensors to get that, but it would be nicer just to get the data directly from the ESC.
  • Mark_TMark_T Posts: 1,981
    edited 2012-05-14 05:06
    SRLM wrote: »
    I'd be interested in a Propeller based 4xBLDC controller. Specifically, it would be really nice if it could output RPM data to a host controller. Currently I'm using the Eagle Tree sensors to get that, but it would be nicer just to get the data directly from the ESC.

Absolutely - get tighter integration with the balance control loop that way since you have a separate estimate of actual motor trust rather than waiting for the copter's frame to rotate in response.

I am also thinking of experimenting with various motor control feedback loops (constant power, constant RPM, constant current) to see how they behave. I'm not sure how much variability in thrust you get from a propeller (the mechanical kind!) due to air turbulence, for instance - without actually measuing thrust directly that might be a limiting factor. If part of the feedback is maintaining constant thrust, then a lot of the noise from the IMU control loop could be eliminated (but you would have to crank up the IMU feedback for rapid changes, and ramp it down again for stationary hover). But maybe a well tuned IMU control loop is enough if the rpm data is available?

Thinking of the modularity I'm thinking the way to go is to have separate boards for each motor controller and one for the Prop chip in the middle - since there is always a risk of blowing up a set of MOSFETs you don't want to junk the whole board - and there is probably already a nice Prop board with 8 pins out at each corner that could be linked via headers or ribbon cable to each motor section. And of course you aren't then restricted to the Prop as the brain.

I also wondered about sticking an ATmega168 on each motor to do the bulk of the work so that it can be a standlone ESC too. Then fewer cogs need be taken up in the central Prop and it can be the main brains of the 'copter.
    edited 2012-05-14 09:29
    You're right: even better than RPM feedback would be RPM input (or, preferably, rad/s input) with a PID loop onboard for each motor to maintain the set speed.

Thrust is directly proportional to rotation speed, as is torque. And that's all you really care about for motor control. So a BLDC motor controller would be very useful if it could take motor speed as it's input. I don't think constant current or power would be as useful as constant RPM. From the equations that control the quadrotor, we have thrust and torque:

img76.png
    img77.png
    (Open in new tab if they look funny)

You wouldn't be able to do all of the hovering code on the single Propeller, at least for autonomous. From a design perspective I like the idea of a discrete BLDC controller that can be used straight in a circuit without having to worry about programming it.

As for board design, I think it would depend whether there's a way to easily pass high current between boards. What I would like to see is something a bit like an Arduino daughterboard where the processor is mounted on it's own board, then the motor controller hardware is mounted on four daughter boards. I'd imagine that it would have the four motor controllers laid out in a row, and you'd solder the pin headers in. If a board does burn up then all you have to do is desolder it and replace it. With this design, if you decide to go to a hex- or octo- design all you have to do is make a bigger carrier board (with the Propeller on it).

Inputs to the board would be a four wire connector with RX/TX/3.3/GND, and this would power and communicate with the onboard Propeller. A possible input would be four PWM channels so it could be a drop in replacement for off the shelf BLDC motors. Also input would be the motor battery. Outputs would include the three wires for each motor, and possibly a 5v/3.3v/GND connection (if you want to power electronics with the same battery as the motor). What do you think?

How interested are you in pursuing this and making it open source? If there's any way that I can support you, let me know (parts, math help, code help, testing, etc.). I'm one of the many people here working on quadrotor code, so it would be nice to have a good BLDC controller to go along with it.
    edited 2012-05-14 15:24
    With a quadrotor you really want to keep the noisy high-current commutation wires short and thus controllers close to the motors - for a larger craft that would imply ribbon cable for the control signals back to the hub. Daughterboards would have to radiate outwards from the corners so there wouldn't be a mechanically strong connection like an Arduino shield. A star-shaped board that could be snapped at the join if motors are far away. High current wires can run round in a ring between controller boardlets or in a star alongside signal wires (less happy with that)
    edited 2012-05-14 16:05
    Mark_T wrote: »
    With a quadrotor you really want to keep the noisy high-current commutation wires short and thus controllers close to the motors - for a larger craft that would imply ribbon cable for the control signals back to the hub. Daughterboards would have to radiate outwards from the corners so there wouldn't be a mechanically strong connection like an Arduino shield. A star-shaped board that could be snapped at the join if motors are far away. High current wires can run round in a ring between controller boardlets or in a star alongside signal wires (less happy with that)

Do you have data to back up the claim that the wires are noisy? I assume that you're saying that the three wire portion of the motor control is the noisy bit. I've heard this all over the internet, but I'm skeptical that it's an issue. Anecdotal evidence, but:
    --- I've been running a single motor (on a test stand) with a three wire section approximately 6 feet long (it uses a re-purposed 3 wire AC cord). I haven't seen any problems.
    --- Most of the Elev-8s from Parallax seem to have the three wires running through the arm booms, and they can still fly.

My guess is that those three wires are not as noisy as assumed, but I don't know how to reliably test such a hypothesis. Any suggestions?

I guess what would be ideal IMHO is a carrier board that has the four daugter boards arranged so that the three wire section comes out from the corners of the board. It needn't be a star, but could instead be a 2x2 grid.

But again, this all boil down to how much of the "noisy wires" is a myth, and how much is true, and how to test such a thing.
    edited 2012-05-15 08:01
    Do you have data to back up the claim that the wires are noisy? I assume that you're saying that the three wire portion of the motor control is the noisy bit. I've heard this all over the internet, but I'm skeptical that it's an issue. Anecdotal evidence, but:
    --- I've been running a single motor (on a test stand) with a three wire section approximately 6 feet long (it uses a re-purposed 3 wire AC cord). I haven't seen any problems.
    --- Most of the Elev-8s from Parallax seem to have the three wires running through the arm booms, and they can still fly.

My guess is that those three wires are not as noisy as assumed, but I don't know how to reliably test such a hypothesis. Any suggestions?

I guess what would be ideal IMHO is a carrier board that has the four daugter boards arranged so that the three wire section comes out from the corners of the board. It needn't be a star, but could instead be a 2x2 grid.

But again, this all boil down to how much of the "noisy wires" is a myth, and how much is true, and how to test such a thing.

If you've using 6 channels of 12bit ADC interfacing to an IMU, they are noisy! Also its simply good practice not to make unintended radio transmitters (if you ever want to turn a prototype into a product then EMI cleanliness matters). Besides you may increase the RC control range a lot by reducing the overload on the receiver input stage. Remember we're switching high current inductive loads so the dV/dt is substantial as well as the magnetic interference from the high currents.

If you've ever used a sensitive radio receiver (not a broadcast receiver, they are pretty deaf) you'll know how strong the EMI output of digital electronics and power electronics can be. Remember the noise floor is well below 0.1uV over most of the electromagnetic spectrum - GPS receivers are sensitive to 40nV for instance.
  • lardomlardom Posts: 1,659
    edited 2012-09-25 10:25
    My question is "Why can't the floating coil be referred to supply ground?" If a 3 phase sensorless bldc had a 4th wire connected to the common point in a star configuration back-emf would be simplified. PWM creates noise, requiring filtering, forcing delay. Is there a way to avoid the active phases? Without having thought through it yet I wonder if the 4th quad comparator on a LM339 could use supply power to help sense back-emf on the floating phase?
    edited 2012-09-25 18:07
    lardom wrote: »
    My question is "Why can't the floating coil be referred to supply ground?" If a 3 phase sensorless bldc had a 4th wire connected to the common point in a star configuration back-emf would be simplified. PWM creates noise, requiring filtering, forcing delay. Is there a way to avoid the active phases? Without having thought through it yet I wonder if the 4th quad comparator on a LM339 could use supply power to help sense back-emf on the floating phase?

Depending how you switch and PWM the voltages are jumping all over the place - you want to sense the open winding voltage against the centre, but you can't directly get to the centre, so you synthesize it by averaging the three phases.

If you do PWM on both high and low side switches simultaneously then in theory you can reference to mid-rail. Many schemes only switch one side.

You can't have a 4th terminal because motors are would as both star and delta windings - there is no common point in a delta winding and ESCs have to work with both.
    edited 2012-09-25 22:04
    @Mark_T, Thanks for replying. I did think it might make more sense to use 1/2 supply voltage as reference. After reading your reply it's clear I need a scope. The motor I have has 12 armatures and the rotor has 14 permanent magnets. I don't mind admitting I have a lot to learn about these motors. I will tinker with some code to experiment with the LM339 and the MCP3204.
    edited 2012-09-26 07:05
    The number of poles and windings is invisible electrically, they all behave basically the same. The number of electrical rotations per physical rotation does depend on the pole count, winding count, and winding pattern. If you do just high- or low-side PWM then the electrical centre will be PWM'ing as well so a power-rail based reference is going to superimpose PWM onto result.

Also p-channel and n-channel MOSFETs have different series resistance so there is an offset due to this that increases at higher currents.
    edited 2012-09-26 08:11
    @Mark_T, In baseball a pitcher with three pitches could dominate. "Pole count, winding count, and winding pattern" looks like an 'unhittable' offset. Even though I'm working with a 'star' configuration I want to learn 'delta' as well. I don't understand how to average the three terminals since a comparator allows two inputs. This is why I wanted to try detecting AC with an MCP3204.
    My initial plan is to PWM high side and low side simultaneously and I will use BJT's since I know how to bias them. I expect both failure and progress. :smile:
  • CircuitsoftCircuitsoft Posts: 1,166
    edited 2012-09-28 23:09
    Average the three terminals with 3 summing resistors and no load.
  • Beau SchwabeBeau Schwabe Posts: 6,558
    edited 2012-09-28 23:42
    Just thinking out loud here...

Suppose you have a motor with 12 Poles and you want it to go 6000 rpm which is not out of the question for this type of application.

6000 rpm = 100rps
    100rps X 12 poles = 1200kHz for the base frequency when energizing the coils, meaning that the coils can only be energized or sequenced for a maximum of 833 micro seconds... actually about half of that to allow freewheeling and minimize heat buildup in the motor due to braking effects if the coil is energized the entire cycle.

Ok, so that said, any Op-Amp/comparator solution is going to need to be quick to respond and have a minimal slew rate. An Op-Amp might not be the best approach here for the higher speeds. In my later attempts, I just used the B-E junction of a transistor across coils to form a comparator. In my most recent tests I was using that signal off of the transistor to energize the NEXT coil.... however, I'm not sure why I couldn't use that signal to energize the SAME sense coil itself. In other words, the initial state of the coil works as a sensor, when enough voltage is generated by kinetic momentum from previous coils to create a signal in the input coil, then energize the input coil. The beginning signal/power to the coil gets chopped, but only by about 600mV before it's fully engaged. Don't know it was just an idea I thought might be worth trying. This way you still get a tachometer from the motor to detect stalls and current speed, but your not completely sacrificing a coil as a sensor that's not energized. The Tach information could then be used to determine the width of the pulse necessary to ramp up to the desired/commanded speed.
    edited 2012-09-29 08:22
    @Circuitsoft, thanks for making summing resistors clearer. I saw a pdf of using three resistors to create a 'virtual' neutral point and discovered why it was necessary. I'm guessing 'no load' means high values for the resistors. At the moment I'm studying the MCP3208. My thinking is that with a stabilized neutral point and a sampling rate synchronized to the pwm frequency I could isolate the back emf signal. Further, if I could offset the start of the sampling pulses a few clock ticks from the pwm I could also avoid the spikes and ringing. I don't know what's possible but I enjoy the learning process.
    @Beau Schwabe, I'm one of those that sees you as the guru in your knowledge of coils. Thanks for the math. I'm not clear on your use of the B-E junction as opposed to a diode but that usually means I have to look a little deeper before the light goes on in my head.
    edited 2012-09-29 10:15
    lardom,

"I'm not clear on your use of the B-E junction as opposed to a diode" ... The B-E junction of the transistor starts to conduct between about 400mV and 600mV which acts like a comparator taking the place of an Op-Amp... the output of the transistor (The C-E junction) could be monitored to determine this event and when to fully engage the coil. In the initial state the coil acts like a generator as the motor turns, when the transistor threshold is met, the processor could control when to engage the same coil to provide drive strength since the Processor doesn't need to read it as an input anymore, or at least until the next cycle occurs.
    edited 2012-09-29 10:48
    @Beau Schwabe, I like it! I'll experiment with that idea.
    edited 2012-09-29 13:58
    This is just a basic simulation concept for a brush-less motor controller as far as providing signals of when to fire the coils. The 1K resistors on the far left provide a pseudo reference return path normally inaccessible because it's inside the motor. (labeled as the Common) The corresponding outputs (A, B, and C) provide a timing window for a processor to fire the appropriate coil. In actual operation there would be a mirror of this signal at half the period derived within the micro controller. One to drive the coil in one direction and the other to drive the coil in the opposite direction.

Video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffTyTN4bvUo&feature=youtu.be
    1024 x 819 - 80K
    edited 2012-10-01 09:14
    I have a motor with 14 magnets, 12 poles and 3 phases. 14 * 12 * 3 = 504 which allows me to express the pole/magnet offsets and 120° phases with integers. If I can convert them to constants so much the better. I'm working on a grid-based graphic illustration to help me come up with a startup algorithm. Spinning up until the NPN/PNP starts to conduct makes sense. A clipped signal is OK. I think every 3rd commutation is enough to update the floating phase. (I hope I'm right.)
  • Brian CarpenterBrian Carpenter Posts: 728
    edited 2012-10-27 22:03
    guys,
    Do i need a BLDC driver/controller to drive this?
    http://www.leafmotor.com/hub-motors/18f-electric-hub-motor.html
    edited 2012-10-27 22:47
    guys,
    Do i need a BLDC driver/controller to drive this?
    http://www.leafmotor.com/hub-motors/18f-electric-hub-motor.html

This should go into a new thread.
    edited 2012-10-28 05:21
    lardom wrote: »
    I have a motor with 14 magnets, 12 poles and 3 phases. 14 * 12 * 3 = 504 which allows me to express the pole/magnet offsets and 120° phases with integers. If I can convert them to constants so much the better. I'm working on a grid-based graphic illustration to help me come up with a startup algorithm. Spinning up until the NPN/PNP starts to conduct makes sense. A clipped signal is OK. I think every 3rd commutation is enough to update the floating phase. (I hope I'm right.)

Electrically you don't need to know anything about the details of windings and poles. You do need to know how fast the rotor can be accelerated for a given torque - depends on the motor rpm constant and moment of inertia of the load - if you try to accelerate too fast you'll lose lock, if too slow you increase the chance of vibratory stalling. You also have to limit the torque at start up since cogging increases with torque and cogging is the main issue at low speeds. Probably want to ramp up
    torque and acceleration together for best spin-up behaviour. Once the loop is closed you can check for loss of lock.

A quick word about nomenclature - "poles" is ambiguous in this context - most descriptions of BLDC motors reserve it for the number of magnet poles (this is not the same as the number of magnets, note, since sometimes magnets are placed NNPPNNPP... in order to fit round a circle and keep gap size small).

Poles in other types of motor is often the number of stator winding slots - so in BLDC articles I've seen "slot" or "tooth" used for that. Due to the many winding schemes used there isn't a meaningful number of stator magnetic poles

In most (all?) windings schemes the number of electrical revolutions per shaft revolution is poles/2 (where poles = magnet poles). Beau earlier forgot to divide by 2 I note. http://forumrc.alexba.eu/nutpol_e.htm
    edited 2012-10-28 05:22
    This should go into a new thread.
    Indeed, hub motors are not sensorless, they have hall-effect commutation.
  • Brian CarpenterBrian Carpenter Posts: 728
    edited 2012-10-28 08:12
    thank you all