Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
mini a/c unit temp control — Parallax Forums

mini a/c unit temp control

tobdectobdec Posts: 267
edited 2012-05-07 10:43 in BASIC Stamp
Ok so basically I have some exotic pets that need to be within a certain temp range to survive. I am building a peltier plate mini a/c unit to cool the general area they are in instead of running my a/c all day for the whole house. The a/c peltier unit is the easy part.....the not soo easy part is temp control for me. I have a basic stamp 2 Home Work Board. I would like to control temp through process control..basically meaning (if temp drops below or above said temp do X) I was thinking of using an LM34 using http://airchild2.tripod.com/Thermo.html as a method for ad conversion. Having never played with any sensors before I am a little lost on what all this means and where to begin. Any help would be appreciated guys!

Comments

• FalconFalcon Posts: 191
    edited 2012-05-07 04:50
    tobdec,

Take a look at the DS1620 (in stock at the Parallax Store.) Page 161 of the Stampworks V2.1 has an experiment using it. I was able to use this chip and a BS2 to make a thermostat that controlled a camper A/C unit via X-10 control of a 115 VAC socket. You can set the temp you want to maintain.

falcon
  • tobdectobdec Posts: 267
    edited 2012-05-07 06:51
    Very interesting Falcon. So from what i've gathered I can use my stamp to program this ic and use my wonderful stamp board for other projects? Ima have to brush up on my pbasic to get this to work though.....been tway too long since ive programmed a BS2!

After reviewing I answered my own question, it needs my stamp for processing the temps. Is this correct?
  • jvrproductionsjvrproductions Posts: 61
    edited 2012-05-07 08:34
    Yes you will need your bs2 to proces your temp and activate your colling system.
    edited 2012-05-07 08:45
    I think I understand now, and seeing as how this peltier system is capable of heating as well with a simple polarity switch I can have full HVAC capability for the winter as well! Looks like its time to order another stamp, or perhaps a prop......at any rate I will need to brush up on PBASIC to get this up and running. Will post pics and detailed build when completed.
  • PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2012-05-07 09:47
    Yes you will need your bs2 to proces your temp and activate your colling system.

Actually, you can use the BS2 to program the High/Low thresholds to the DS1620 and then disconnect from the Stamp to work by itself. See example on page 166 of the StampWorks Manual.

I have used a programmed DS1620 stand alone to run a SSR for an attic fan. No need for the BS2.

Jim
    edited 2012-05-07 10:43
    Publison wrote: »
    Actually, you can use the BS2 to program the High/Low thresholds to the DS1620 and then disconnect from the Stamp to work by itself. See example on page 166 of the StampWorks Manual.

I have used a programmed DS1620 stand alone to run a SSR for an attic fan. No need for the BS2.

Jim
    That would be awesome so I can continue using my stamp for other projects.