Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Acquired a robot chasis — Parallax Forums

Acquired a robot chasis

stythysstythys Posts: 2
edited 2012-05-15 12:33 in Robotics
Hello I am a little new to robotics, I've always been fascinated but just now started to dive into actually working on them. I started a robotics club at my college and one of my professors had a BOE laying around for us to play around with. He also gave us a chasis that goes with it and its a little older but seem just fine I was just wondering if anyone has any experience with this type of chasis. I've looked around and have been unable to find any like it. Since it has a cage that goes around it I was wondering how people went about puting sensors on it and whatnot. If I have to I could just cut the cage off but rather not. Here are some photos and thank you for any advice.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/77995486@N03/7147169119/in/photostream
http://www.flickr.com/photos/77995486@N03/7147167347/in/photostream
http://www.flickr.com/photos/77995486@N03/7147165527/in/photostream
http://www.flickr.com/photos/77995486@N03/7001078490/in/photostream

Comments

• Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2012-05-08 06:31
    That's a very cool robot chassis!

I don't think you should cut the cage off. It's a great structure to attach sensors to.

Here are my suggestions:

Get a QuickStart board or two. Right now Gadget Gangster is giving away their QuickProto boards with every QuickStart they sell.

While your at GG pick of one of their uSD modules.

That bot is crying out for ultrasound sensors. One of our regular (and extraordinary) forum members erco, found some inexpensive sensors on eBay. It would look cool if each of the eight sides of your bot had an ultrasound sensor but two or three would also work well.

While you're getting stuff off of eBay, grab at least two of these Nordic modules. With a second Prop, you could use the Nordic module to send data back to a basestation/remote control.

It looks like your robot uses servos to drive the motors. Those should be easy to control with a Prop (or any microcontroller).

I just re-read you post. It looks like you already have a BOE to use. A Basic Stamp will be enough to get your robot moving. It wont be able to do things a Propeller could but it will let you control the servos and interface with sensors (but not at the same time).

Parallax now makes a BOE with a Propeller on it. I'm using one on my BOE-Bot.

I hope you keep us updated on your progress.

Don't wait too long before asking a question when you get stuck.
  • TtailspinTtailspin Posts: 1,326
    edited 2012-05-08 08:31
    Welcome to the club stythys,
    Of course, You realize all of your free time has just flown out the window, oh, and all your cash, thats gone too.

That is an interesting chassis, I have never seen one like it. I wonder where it came from?
    I can picture it full of Pings((( , XBee radio, Line following equipment, Compasses, and Gyroscopes.
    Yup, you and your wallet are doomed...:lol:

Again, Welcome to the forum, Please keep us updated on the progress,
    Oh, and it's likely that a certain forum member will come along and mention the lack of Plywood and Relays attached to your robot chassis, He is harmless, just smile and nod in agreement, as he is all powerful with Basic Stamp knowledge...:smile:

-Tommy
  • tobdectobdec Posts: 267
    edited 2012-05-08 09:44
    Again welcome to the forum! Thats a great starter bot for you! I wish I had a rig like that when I started. BTW is that a custom BOE chassis? And in reguards to other members to watch for at least PJ hasn't snarled his teeth at him yet lol.
  • GordonMcCombGordonMcComb Posts: 3,366
    edited 2012-05-08 11:05
    That's the EasyBot chassis, put out for a time by Michael Berta. Hasn't been available for a while.

-- Gordon
  • Matt GillilandMatt Gilliland Posts: 1,406
    edited 2012-05-08 14:29
    Welcome to the Forums stythys!
    Keep us updated on your progress - lookin' good.

Tspin said-
    Oh, and it's likely that a certain forum member will come along and mention the lack of Plywood

and I say, "Beware the erco!" He is mighty with plywood, and has vanquished many to his dark side! Plastic. Again I hold the (plastic) sign high and say "Plastic!"

Welcome stythys!
    -MattG
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,255
    edited 2012-05-09 17:57
    Ttailspin wrote: »
    Oh, and it's likely that a certain forum member will come along and mention the lack of Plywood and Relays attached to your robot chassis, He is harmless, just smile and nod in agreement, as he is all powerful with Basic Stamp knowledge...:smile:

-Tommy

Watching & waiting for just the right opportunity to pounce.
  • stythysstythys Posts: 2
    edited 2012-05-13 18:22
    Thanks for the great advice. I will avoid butchering the chassis and will probably go with ultrasonic sensors. Since its a college club I will try to get as much funding as possible for these robots but this one is special. I made it a personal mission to have it up and running before fall semester so that we are not a robotics club without a robot. So yeah I'll probably be saying goodbye to my wallet.
  • Matt GillilandMatt Gilliland Posts: 1,406
    edited 2012-05-15 12:33
    Since its a college club I will try to get as much funding as possible for these robots
    Hi stythys -
    Which college, if you don't mind me asking? There is no existing robotics club?
    -MattG