Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Memory Expandsion is posible???? — Parallax Forums

Memory Expandsion is posible????

migudonomigudono Posts: 14
edited 2012-05-05 21:55 in BASIC Stamp
recently I made a project mixing different devices (datalloger, timmer, temperature sensor with BS2) and his proposed codes.

Unfortunatelly , the mixed code is too long, when only copied or optimizad, then I can't charged in the memory, same thing if you want to use too much variables

Exist a way to expand the memory capacity for alocate code or variables?
The only way is puchase a microprocessor better than BS2 ?

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2012-05-05 21:55
    There is no way to expand the existing memory in the Stamp, neither program storage nor variable storage. You can get other models of the Stamp, like the BS2p for example, but the extra memory doesn't directly expand the existing memory. The program memory gets expanded to 16K instead of 2K, but this is divided into 2K "slots" which act somewhat like overlays. You can't, for example, call subroutines in another "slot" nor can you return from one "slot" to another. There's also an additional "scratchpad memory" for data storage. This doesn't give you more variables, but you can store some data there and it's particularly useful for serial data input since you can receive data directly to this memory area.

It's often very straightforward to do some simple optimizing of an existing program to make it all fit in a BS2. Variables can be shared between sections of a program dealing with different devices. This is particularly true for the datalogger which uses a lot of variable space when it's in immediate use.

You could also consider using a different microprocessor. The Propeller is certainly capable of handling several I/O devices, has much more memory and speed than a Stamp.