Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Can other types of antennae be attached to the Xbee modules? — Parallax Forums

Can other types of antennae be attached to the Xbee modules?

ElectricAyeElectricAye Posts: 4,561
edited 2012-05-16 13:10 in Accessories
Considering the types of Xbee modules that use the little whip antennae: I was wondering if those antennae can be detached and if other types of antenna can be attached. For example, if you have a robot in which you'd like to bury your electronics deep inside a metal housing, could you hook up something that would position the antennae on the outside of the housing?

Thanks.

Comments

• Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2012-05-02 15:21
    You can get XBee modules with a connector for an external antenna, either U.FL, shown here

WRL-08693.jpg

or a reverse SMA (RPSMA), which is a lot bulkier.

-Phil
  • Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2012-05-02 15:21
    I asked the tech support people at Digi this question. They said other antenna can be use.

You'll notice the PCB has pads for several different antenna types.

You could solder on an U.FL connector and run a shielded coax wire to an antenna on the outside of your bot.
  • ElectricAyeElectricAye Posts: 4,561
    edited 2012-05-02 15:47
    Thanks, Phil and Duane, especially for such a rapid reply. So as I understand it, the modules that Parallax sells are not normally capable of this kind of antenna extension... unless, of course, I want to muck around with soldering a totally different connection?
    edited 2012-05-02 15:56
    I don't know if Parallax sells any XBees with a U.FL or RPSMA connectors but SparkFun sells a Series 1 XBee with U.FL and Series 2 with both U.FL and RPSMA.
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2012-05-02 15:59
    ElectricAye,

If you modify an XBee to use an external antenna, you will also have to remove whatever antenna is already on it.

-Phil
    edited 2012-05-02 16:04
    If you're interested in increased range I believe the 900MHz version have better range than the 2.4GHz XBees. I think the XSC 900MHz have the best range of the XBees (The also cost more than the other XBees).
    edited 2012-05-02 17:32

If you modify an XBee to use an external antenna, you will also have to remove whatever antenna is already on it....

Thanks, Phil. Thanks again Duane. I think I'll just work with the Parallax stuff for now until - and unless - I absolutely need something else. From what I've read, their radio signals can still get through a plastic housing (as opposed to a metal one) so perhaps a plastic housing is all I really need.

Thank you, gentlemen, for your insights on this. Much appreciated.
  • ypapelisypapelis Posts: 99
    edited 2012-05-16 12:23
    Duane Degn wrote: »
    If you're interested in increased range I believe the 900MHz version have better range than the 2.4GHz XBees. I think the XSC 900MHz have the best range of the XBees (The also cost more than the other XBees).
    One thing to keep in mind, if it is relevant to your application, is that the XSC models do not support API mode. I wasted a good chunk of time plugging an XSC module into an existing setup only to realize it wasn't working. After a lot of headaches, the Digi folks confirmed that there is no API mode available. If you are not using API mode, this is of course irrelevant.
    edited 2012-05-16 13:10
    ypapelis wrote: »
    One thing to keep in mind, if it is relevant to your application, is that the XSC models do not support API mode. ....

Thanks for the heads-up on that.