Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Board of Education and Robotics — Parallax Forums

Board of Education and Robotics

I recently purchased the Board of Education to learn the microcontroller, but to also begin thinking ahead in helping my boy get into robotics. Nosing around the web I got the impression that the Basic Stamp 1 and Basic Stamp 2 weren't enough machine for something like a Photovore. Is that true? We are not expecting rocket science, we will be happy to have it move around the floor, but... Well, one wants to move in the right direction. Will I need to purchase another controller and will I be able to use the Basic Stamp Editor? (I suppose that is a dumb question)...

Hate to add another question, but what is the BOE Shield?

Thanks,

EC

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2012-05-02 05:11
    The BS1 has a very small memory and would not be suitable for doing anything other than the simplest robotics experiments. The BS2, on the other hand, is used extensively for teaching the basics of robotics in schools. The "Robotics with the BoeBot" tutorial will give you some idea of what it's capable of. The BoeBot comes with light sensors, both for ambient light and infrared object detection / distance measurement and one of the sections in the tutorial shows how to set up the BoeBot to explore a room avoiding obstacles using the IR sensors. I think there's another exercise to have the BoeBot follow a light source.

You don't need another controller for any of this although I think the PING (ultrasonic distance sensor) and its servo bracket is a good addition and makes the BoeBot look cool.

The Basic Stamp Editor is the way you program the Stamp and the BoeBot.

The BOE Shield is an Arduino shield, a plug-in for the Arduino, that allows the Arduino board to be mounted just below the Shield. It's designed to take the place of a BOE and provides a voltage regulator, connectors for servo motors and sensors, and a small breadboard area, just like the BOE's. Parallax is in the process of making a version of the Robotics with the BoeBot tutorial with all the programming examples converted for use with the Arduino and this shield.
  • Martin_HMartin_H Posts: 4,051
    edited 2012-05-02 10:17
    The BS2 is capable enough for hobby robotics. Here are a few projects I've done with my BS2e powered robots:

Wall following:

Radio control via Bluetooth:

Odometry:

Photovore and photophobe projects should be a snitch.
  • edited 2012-05-02 15:45
    The Board of Education is running a BS2 isn't it? I assume that's why I'm entering the .bs2 or ' {$STAMP BS2} in the code. Probably a dumb question there.

I appreciate your time answering my questions.

Thanks,

EC
  • Martin_HMartin_H Posts: 4,051
    edited 2012-05-02 16:36
    The Board of Education is running a BS2 isn't it? I assume that's why I'm entering the .bs2 or ' {$STAMP BS2} in the code. Probably a dumb question there.

The Board of Education usually has a BS2 in it and you are correct about the file extension and directive. But the Boe has a socket allows it to take other variants like the BS2e. They are all similar, but some have more RAM or run faster. Most of my projects would run unmodified on my Boe-bot which uses a BS2.
  • edited 2012-05-03 05:18
    Good to know. Thanks.

EC