Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Underwater ROV serial communication and other questions — Parallax Forums

Underwater ROV serial communication and other questions

AndrewParsonsAndrewParsons Posts: 13
edited 2012-05-01 09:53 in BASIC Stamp
Hello all,
First I would like to say thanks to the community for helping me get this far in my project. In truth this is my first attempt at programming and using a micro controller to do my bidding. In the past I did everything using servos and switches. Although I have ran through the education courses with Parallax and have done all the projects.

I have tasked myself with making an Underwater ROV. I plan to use one are two Basic Stamp 2sx. One stamp (below sea-level) will read sensors and control 6 thrusters by using the Propeller Servo Controller to PWM to six ESC. I will also be using the Prop Servo Controller to manipulate an underwater arm. All the motors are brushless (Including underwater servos) and have been tested underwater. Each ESC will be powered from a 3s poly 5000mah battery that will be housed in Otter Boxes along with all the components. As for video I have not quite figured that out but it will most likely be a netcam with pan and tilt that I power below and break the lines out to the surface. If anyone knows how many pairs from the cat 6 a netcam will need please let me know? As for communication from surface to the ROV I plan to use RS-485 Communication; actually this is one of my questions. Above I mentioned using 1 or 2 Basic Stamp 2 SX, does it make more sense to use a microcontroller on the surface with pots to control the ESC using RS-485 Signal? Or does it make more sense to use SparkFun BOB-09822 for communication and Make a VB6 program (like RoboRealm) to control the ESC and display sensor reading?

I am leaning toward using SparkFun BOB-09822 since I like the Idea of the increased resolution for the ESC compared to pots. So, If I do decided to go with BOB-09822 (already have 2 of them) how would I connect them in order to serin and out to the BASIC STAMP Below?
I know I have asked a significant amount of questions, and I do not expect one person to know them all. Also, if you have any suggestions on my project please post them.

Andrew

Comments

• stamptrolstamptrol Posts: 1,731
    edited 2012-05-01 09:53
    Hi Andrew,

I see you haven't gotten much feedback as yet. By any measure you have outlined a very ambitious, time consuming and potentially expensive project.

Perhaps you could break your project down into sections and query the group on specific problems you are running into. Also, break your narrative into smaller sections. It's very hard to get at the exact question with a "stream of consciousness" presentation.

As you are just starting out with programming and micros, there will be a lot of "bench-top learning" before you even get close to the water. Choose one aspect of the project and get that module working satisfactorily, then move on.

For instance, set up the underwater Stamp and get it talking to the servo controller. Then get the servo controller so it can control the ESC units. Then connect all the motors and see if its realistic to control all six. Then add in your robot arm.

Assuming all that works, now get the topside Stamp to talk down the tether to pass the commands to the underwater controller. Add in the ability to receive the sensor data sent from the underwater Stamp.

Getting the video to work will be a project in its own right. You say netcam; are you planning on having an internet connection down below?

Keep us updated on your progress.

Cheers,