Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Controlling Boe-Bot with Xbox 360 controller? — Parallax Forums

Controlling Boe-Bot with Xbox 360 controller?

Doug3251Doug3251 Posts: 8
edited 2012-04-25 09:35 in BASIC Stamp
Hello everybody,
Well I fell victim to the RROD on my xbox but I had a thought. What if you take the controller reciever unit out of the xbox 360 console and hook it up to the board of education could you debug and program the xbox 360 controller to control the Boe-bot. Any help or info would be great.
Thanks for the Time

EDIT
I did some more investigation and I found this link http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=668753. It looks possible the Wireless Gaming Receiver takes 5V and it has D-, D+, and ground. So theoretically I can hook this to the BOE.

Comments

• FranklinFranklin Posts: 4,747
    edited 2012-04-25 08:29
    5V and it has D-, D+, and ground.
    That sounds like USB and the BOE BOT can't host USB without adding a USB host device.
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2012-04-25 08:46
    A USB host device would be the Parallax Memory Stick Datalogger. This can interface to some HID (human interface) devices like keyboards, mice, joysticks, etc. as well as USB memory devices. Whether it can interface to an XBOX is another question that I can't answer, but others may know.
  • Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2012-04-25 08:51
    I agree with Franklin, you're going to have a very hard time getting a BS2 and a XBox 360 controller to communicate.

Any controller that uses USB is going to be hard to use with a microcontroller.

PlayStation 2 controllers are very hackable. I just figured out how to read the analog buttons from a PS2 controller (I'm a bit excited about it). There are several articles by JonnyMac (Jon Williams) about hacking a PS2 controller (though none (that I know of) have information about the analog buttons (did I mention I just learned to read the analog buttons?)).

Lots of the the other non-USB controllers have been hacked to use with a microcontroller. USB needs a lot of resources, and it's usually too much for a microcontroller to handle. There are some USB host hardware devices made to work with microcontrollers but they're pretty much just for data storage and maybe a HID (but I doubt a game controller would work with one).

Edit: I agree with Mike too.
  • Doug3251Doug3251 Posts: 8
    edited 2012-04-25 09:35
    Thank you Franklin, Duane, and Mike I think what I will do for now is wire it up for a universal remote until I get the funds for the Easy Bluetooth Module. I'm still kinda new to microcontrollers. Thanks again guys.