Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Follow Me Eddie Robot — Parallax Forums

Follow Me Eddie Robot

codysprakercodyspraker Posts: 46
edited 2012-05-01 08:39 in Robotics
I have owned to the Eddie Robot for nearly a month now and I have still had trouble figuring out how to program it. I have been able to bring up the Eddie and Eddiedirect programs and drive it over the Internet using the Xbox 360 controller, however I would like to be able to program it to do things on its own. I've seen a lot of visual programming when I try to edit parts of the programs that are there but I don't know f this is where I should be putting my work if I want a robot to recognize me and follow me around. Thanks for any help!

Comments

• Mike4421Mike4421 Posts: 131
    edited 2012-04-24 19:29
    do you have the MSRDS by Wrox book? Have you read some of the other books and online samples?

MSRDS's VPL has web camera's and Kinect code fetures that can help you in your task.

if you add more sensors to the eddie robot you will have to rewrite the Propeller code and the MSRDS code for the eddie in C#,XML......

MSRDS's VPL can make some of the concurrent programing easyer, although using the C# is the way to go. I've used the VPL to concurrently drive the Boe Bot with a simulation on the PC at the same time..... simple stuff though... still learning the MSRDS platform.

you can also look into the SPL see

http://www.helloapps.com/

SPL sits on top of MSRDS, and supports other languages like Python, Matlab, C#, VB, Flash, cant remember the rest, but it uses the simulator mainly, but can use a real robot (I have not tryied this yet.), and its files are accessible in the MSRDS's VPL.

I dont own an Eddie yet but when I do... I'll try to be ready as possible....

hope this helps.
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,255
    edited 2012-04-24 19:42
    Cody & Mike: Sounds like you two make a good team with similar interests & goals. By sheer coincidence, you both have exactly 42 posts each. Keep that synergism going! :)
  • codysprakercodyspraker Posts: 46
    edited 2012-04-25 05:56
    lol that's a great observation, with regards to the information provided by Mike, I think this will be very helpful, I am still trying to get myself to understand VPL so I'll be reviewing this for a while but I'll be posting my progress soon with studying what was provided. Thanks again! Hope to get back to you guys today or maybe tomorrow with questions!
  • Mike4421Mike4421 Posts: 131
    edited 2012-04-25 11:24
    wow, the same# of posts..... working with robots can be time consuming, but the great part of this is that theres plenty of info out there, and great ppl at the forums like here in the Parallax one.

if you dont know about these site's, they can be handy if the occasion comes around....

this is Ben Axelrod's site.. he wrote some code for the MSRDS R2.... improved Dash Board, some code for the Scribbler1 (Basic Stamp2 based) that uses the "IMPRE" organization's code to MSRDS (IMPRE now uses the Scribbler2 (Propeller Based))... and other projects if your interested.....

http://www.benaxelrod.com/MSRS/index.html

here is code and how to videos, on how to use Google Sketup, 3D Warehouse, and Google Earth with MSRDS.... interesting

http://www.artificialrobotics.com/

have fun out there..... :)
  • TLCTLC Posts: 74
    edited 2012-05-01 08:39
    When I started, the Kinect support in the Beta version of VPL wouldn't do what I needed, so I decided I had to figure out how to write a service for the Kinect in C#. I wrote a quick follow-me app to test things and have a video posted on my channel on YouTube. I had to learn C# to do this so my code is pretty hacked. CCR/DSS is NOT for the beginner, but using the tutorials as templates I was able to do it. The current RDS4 has much better support for the Kinect, but it is still tricky to use. The biggest problem is the fact that every time the Kinect loses tracking, it assigns a new number to the skeleton.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBk1ZwYjzq4 (complete with my magical appearing act)

Todd