Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Propeller Shield — Parallax Forums

Propeller Shield

Chip CoxChip Cox Posts: 73
edited 2012-04-24 18:02 in Propeller 1
The breadboard shield is a nice offering and surprised me as it kind of opened the door for audrino projects. I just got hold of an audrino and a ethernet shield. I was impressed with how easy it was to work with. The only down side was it wasn't nearly as powerful as the propeller. So what I would REALLY like to have is a propeller base that allows for the shield concept. I know the pinouts would be different than the audrino shields or the XBee modules ( way more pins to push through ), but that is the kind of concept I am thinking of. Being able to plug a shield that handles all the Ethernet connectivity and still passes through the other pins to be used is great for someone like me that is more into programming than the electronics. Top it off with a board of education like propeller shield where I could mount sensors, etc, and that would be great. Anyway, just an idea.

Comments

• Oldbitcollector (Jeff)Oldbitcollector (Jeff) Posts: 8,091
    edited 2012-04-22 13:46
    @Chip,

We're on the same page... Got a Quickstart or Propeller Platform Board? Have a look at this.. http://www.gadgetgangster.com/
    We're out of stock on a couple items, including a prototyping board, but should have restock on Monday/Tuesday.

OBC
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2012-04-22 13:52
    You might look at Martin's ASC (Arduino Shield Compatible) board here. It's a Propeller board with the form-factor and stacking connector arrangement compatible with a lot of Arduino shields. It works with Parallax's Arduino Board of Education shield too.
  • PJAllenPJAllen Banned Posts: 5,065
    edited 2012-04-22 14:45
    Good ol' audrino... the fun never ends.
  • LeonLeon Posts: 7,620
    edited 2012-04-22 14:54
    Is it anything to do with the Arduino?
  • xanaduxanadu Posts: 3,347
    edited 2012-04-22 15:22
    Audrinos are native to the south central US and Central and South America
  • GordonMcCombGordonMcComb Posts: 3,366
    edited 2012-04-22 17:47
    xanadu wrote: »
    Audrinos are native to the south central US and Central and South America

Bridgekeeper: What is the air-speed velocity of an unladen Arduino?
    King Arthur: What do you mean? A US or South American Arduino?
    Bridgekeeper: I don't know that.

Leon, In case you didn't know Parallax now sells a breadboard shield for the Arduino with a BOE footprint and functionality (breadboard, server headers, own regulators, etc.). It's ideal for outfitting a BOE-Bot with an Arduino, but it's also a very good general-purpose Arduino prototyping shield. That's what the OP is talking about.

For the OP: The big problem is that most Arduino shields are for 5V devices, making most shields unusable unless you have a design like Martin's ASC which includes the 1K series resistors on all the I/O.

-- Gordon
  • Martin HodgeMartin Hodge Posts: 1,246
    edited 2012-04-22 23:52
    If you already have a Propeller Platform, there's this http://mghdesigns.com/ppasa
  • Bill HenningBill Henning Posts: 6,445
    edited 2012-04-24 17:05
    You might want to check out the propeller boards, prototyping boards and modules for them at http://Mikronauts.com

MANY more modules coming soon.
    Chip Cox wrote: »
    The breadboard shield is a nice offering and surprised me as it kind of opened the door for audrino projects. I just got hold of an audrino and a ethernet shield. I was impressed with how easy it was to work with. The only down side was it wasn't nearly as powerful as the propeller. So what I would REALLY like to have is a propeller base that allows for the shield concept. I know the pinouts would be different than the audrino shields or the XBee modules ( way more pins to push through ), but that is the kind of concept I am thinking of. Being able to plug a shield that handles all the Ethernet connectivity and still passes through the other pins to be used is great for someone like me that is more into programming than the electronics. Top it off with a board of education like propeller shield where I could mount sensors, etc, and that would be great. Anyway, just an idea.
  • cavelambcavelamb Posts: 720
    edited 2012-04-24 18:02