Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Novice questions on what exactly is a Spinneret capable of. — Parallax Forums

Novice questions on what exactly is a Spinneret capable of.

eiplannereiplanner Posts: 112
edited 2012-04-23 10:49 in Accessories
I have no knowledge whatsoever on servers and web programming but I am curious as to what the Spinneret does, what you use it for, benefits, etc...

I am wondering how close the Spinneret and all of it's current objects are to being a completely stand-alone internet access point. As an example of what I'm trying to understand: I know that there are thumb drives currently on the market for purchase that can be plugged into a USB port on an internet capable computer and run a completely independent software (from the thumb drive) that allows the user to operate a browser with it's own dynamic (anonymous) IP address as well as upload/download files to sites and all the other normal capabilities associated with being online without anything whatsoever being left as a trace on the host computer that the thumb drive was plugged into. This allows what might be considered as near 100% private browsing as technology currently provides. You unplug it, take it with you and all your history and favorites come with it. It can be used on any computer with internet access.

I'm wondering is this something the Spinneret could possibly achieve given the right programming or am I way off base thinking this is what the Spinneret does.
Like I said, I don't even know what really the Spinneret is. Sorry if I'm so far off.

My though process is that if the Spinneret has these capabilities then would it be possible to program it to locate hot spots and other wireless points and be a completely stand alone anonymous browser.

Comments

• Mike GMike G Posts: 2,702
    edited 2012-04-21 20:25
    The Spinneret is a UPD/TCP device with many capabilities; DHCP, Web Server, Email, Time Services. Check out the product page for more information.
    I am wondering how close the Spinneret and all of it's current objects are to being a completely stand-alone internet access point. As an example of what I'm trying to understand: I know that there are thumb drives currently on the market for purchase that can be plugged into a USB port on an internet capable computer and run a completely independent software (from the thumb drive) that allows the user to operate a browser with it's own dynamic (anonymous) IP address as well as upload/download files to sites and all the other normal capabilities associated with being online without anything whatsoever being left as a trace on the host computer that the thumb drive was plugged into. This allows what might be considered as near 100% private browsing as technology currently provides. You unplug it, take it with you and all your history and favorites come with it. It can be used on any computer with internet access.

100% private browsing is not really true. Sure the history is save on the thumb drive but the PC is attached to a network. Every place you have been is logged - trust me.
    My though process is that if the Spinneret has these capabilities then would it be possible to program it to locate hot spots and other wireless points and be a completely stand alone anonymous browser.
    The Spinneret is not a WiFi device.
  • eiplannereiplanner Posts: 112
    edited 2012-04-23 06:44
    (Laughing) - OK Mike, the whole paragraph you quoted of mine and and you reply only to the 100% thing. The reason I'm laughing is that the moment I typed that, I knew I had over-stretched the boundaries of exaggeration and would be duly punished. How about if I just say to my knowledge, the thumbdrive is one of the safest ways to not leave traces on the host computers. (passwords, financial info, favorites, visited sites etc...)

Once again, I was of the mindset that maybe someone could explain (in laymen terms) some of the capabilities so that maybe I (layman) could understand. I've read the product page many many times without gaining a clear understanding; hence, (doorbell sound) maybe I will ask the forum. Believe it or not, hoping for you personally (Mike) to be the one to answer because you appear to have written some great code and I've gotten good guidance from you in the past.

Let me clarify my position. NO, I do not want to go to the library and read books on each and every term I do not understand; nor do I want to go back to college to gain the knowledge. I want to be able to purchase the product, install the code you guys have written, and play with it from there like a 7 year old boy with a new science kit.

I don't know what all the internet protocols and other nifty little terms are other than established methods of communications. OK, so the Spinneret can communicate.

It says it's a server. What kind of server? Is it like the communication card inside my computer? Can I somehow with the proper coding and wiring replace my internet company's modem with it? Can it serve the internet without going through an internet company?

Gotta go, more later....
  • prof_brainoprof_braino Posts: 4,313
    edited 2012-04-23 09:13
    Dude, check out the spinerette support in the propforth stuff.
    tutorials-7.x
    in the download archive. It is ind of cool.
  • Mike GMike G Posts: 2,702
    edited 2012-04-23 10:49
    eiplanner, the Spinneret sends and receives messages using TCP and UDP protocols. These are you building blocks which allow you to assemble all kinds of projects.
    • Execute BASIC commands through a telnet session
    • Open a door via text message
    • Read or write email
    • Get the current time
    • Read sensors and send data to a web site or database
    • Light an LED remotely
    • Run a simple web server
    • Expose RESTful services
    Let me clarify my position. NO, I do not want to go to the library and read books on each and every term I do not understand; nor do I want to go back to college to gain the knowledge. I want to be able to purchase the product, install the code you guys have written, and play with it from there like a 7 year old boy with a new science kit.
    Then do it... have fun.
    It says it's a server. What kind of server? Is it like the communication card inside my computer? Can I somehow with the proper coding and wiring replace my internet company's modem with it? Can it serve the internet without going through an internet company?
    See above for types of servers and applications.
    No, the spinneret is an external device that is connected to a network via Ethernet.
    No, you can not replace your internet modem with the Spinneret. The Spinneret is not a router.
    No, you must have a Internet Service Provider to surf the internet.