Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Python and BoeBotControlForMsrsCtp2 — Parallax Forums

Python and BoeBotControlForMsrsCtp2

Martin_HMartin_H Posts: 4,051
edited 2012-07-14 00:22 in Robotics
The file BoeBotControlForMsrsCtp2.bs2 is used with MS Robotics Studio to control a Boe-bot remotely via Bluetooth. In reading through the file the protocol it implements is simple and quite clever. Rather than deal with MS Robotics Studio which sounds kind of big I was thinking of writing a PC program in Python to send the control commands to the Boe-bot. It would be handy to see the PC implementation of the protocol for MS Robotics Studio so I would have a model for my re-write.

Any pointers to that file? Anyone try using Python as the PC control program already?

Comments

• Mike4421Mike4421 Posts: 131
    edited 2012-04-21 00:23
    Sounds nice to make a Python code for the boebot.
  • prof_brainoprof_braino Posts: 4,313
    edited 2012-04-21 08:46
    This might not be so good with the bs2 part, but this might be something for the python part.

There exists this here CSP for Python, and there should soon exist CSP for the prop in a end-user form.

But I don't know about implementing CSP channels for use with PBASIC
    edited 2012-04-21 23:48
    @ Martin_H... if you are interested.......... try looking at the SPL powerpoint slide's......

I've seen Python on MSRDS through Iron Python; see You Tube. and Python through SPL see;

http://www.helloapps.com/Python/

SPL sits on top of MSRDS; SPL in general is very easy to use (little coding), it runs on the Simulator, but can be used on a real robot I belive (I have to try that one of these days).

cheers.
  • Martin_HMartin_H Posts: 4,051
    edited 2012-04-22 09:55
    Thanks for the suggestions. I found the C sharp driver file. It's about 500 lines long and will take a bit of time to port to Python.
  • prof_brainoprof_braino Posts: 4,313
    edited 2012-04-22 10:11
    Martin_H wrote: »
    ... about 500 lines ...

*** You there! Python! Back of the line! ***
  • Martin_HMartin_H Posts: 4,051
    edited 2012-04-22 18:14
    *** You there! Python! Back of the line! ***

Fortunately Prof_Braino lines of code moves quicker than the line at the grocery store. Otherwise this would take a while.
    edited 2012-04-22 20:46
    @ Martin_H..... *Note, when you translate the C# code...... the original C# file and original BoeBot .BS2 file, that was made for them to communicate; was made for the "A7 eb500" Bluetooth adapter...... this module has a "STATUS" pin #5 that will be used to notify a connection, with out it..... using any regular bluetooth module that just use's Rx and Tx will Not Work.

If you want to use any regular bluetooth adapter that just uses Rx and Tx, you will need to modify the code and the BoeBot.BS2 code for them to work or you can use the EZ Bluetooth adapter from Parallax that comes with MSRDS code for the BoeBot.BS2, and all you will have to change is the C# code and/or Python code to use only Rx and Tx.

**Note - Note .... the A7 eb500 can be replaced by the eb301 (which uses a eb101 in a ciruitboard; just note the inverted "Status" pin logic) , the eb101 its self (make your own board for the chip.), or find a bluetooth module that has a compatible "Status" pin.

cheers.
  • NWCCTVNWCCTV Posts: 3,629
    edited 2012-07-14 00:22
    Unless I am missing something here, the software that comes with the EZ Bluetooth adapter for MSRS is still the code for the EB500. To make matters more confusing, the ProMRDS web site has an updated version for MSRS 4 and it is also for the EB500. If anyone knows where to find the code for the EZ Blue Tooth to communicate with MSRS 4 I would greatly appreciate a link to it. I have been pulling my hair out for 4 days over this one.