Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Kinect power on robot — Parallax Forums

Kinect power on robot

jdoleckijdolecki Posts: 726
edited 2012-04-20 01:48 in Robotics
I have been looking for a ways to power my Kinect sensor on my robot.

After struggling I realized the answer was right in front of me.

My robot has a Mini AT motherboard on board. To power that mother board I am using a power supply designed for the Automotive computer guys.

After reading the specifications on the power supply it says max load on the +12v is 15amps. Pin 10 of the 22 pin connector is +12v and it

also splits off to power the hard drives.

So it was just a matter of putting a HD connector on the end of the Kinect cable after I cut off the wall wart.

The Kinect power cord has 2 wires a brown +12v and a white 0v.

Out of curiosity I put my Amp meter on the +24v battery wire. The computer was drawing 1.9 to 2.0 amps will installing Windows 7.
1024 x 765 - 72K
1024 x 765 - 67K
1024 x 765 - 92K
1024 x 765 - 88K
693 x 508 - 128K

Comments

• codysprakercodyspraker Posts: 46
    edited 2012-04-18 15:29
    I'm not quite sure what you are having trouble with. I have a kinect running on the eddie robotics platform from parallax and am familiar with the cabling however it sounds like you found a solution. I would just like a little more information as to what parts you are working with, maybe the design of the robot you are working on and where you stand now as far as progress towards getting the kinect to power on. I wasn't able to make those assumptions from the information you provided.
  • jdoleckijdolecki Posts: 726
    edited 2012-04-18 15:56
    I don't have an Eddie control board.
    I don't have an Eddie
    I have platform of my own design
    I'm using a mini atx mother board instead of a laptop

Look at this thread

http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?138991-Telepresence-Robot-motor-mounts
    John
  • codysprakercodyspraker Posts: 46
    edited 2012-04-19 12:33
    jdolecki wrote: »
    I don't have an Eddie control board.
    I don't have an Eddie
    I have platform of my own design
    I'm using a mini atx mother board instead of a laptop

Look at this thread

http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?138991-Telepresence-Robot-motor-mounts
    John

My apologies, I have looked over your entire project and now understand what you are working on and it is very impressive. Best of luck I will try to keep following your posts to see your progress
  • jdoleckijdolecki Posts: 726
    edited 2012-04-20 01:48
    I'm sorry my response sounded mean.

While the Eddie robot is nice its still expensive. And its small. who wants a tiny robot when you can have a big one.

I get a chuckle out of these little robots, these builders say "our robot has 32 DOF, wifi , bluetooth and understands voice commands. It is designed to help humans do this and that. And I

respond dude its only 14 inches tall.

All I was really waiting for was the service that lets Parallax communicate with Microsoft Robotics Studio. Couple that with Propellers 8 core's.