Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Adjusting Sensor Sensitivity on Eddie Platform — Parallax Forums

Adjusting Sensor Sensitivity on Eddie Platform

WhyNotScienceWhyNotScience Posts: 10
edited 2012-04-20 09:43 in Accessories
I am not sure if this is the appropriate place to put this thread but I would like to know if there is a simple way of adjusting the sensor sensitivity on the Eddie platform. I have fully assembled and played around with my Eddie robot a bit and have noticed that it has quite a lot of difficulty in navigating through my house. It even seems to have trouble going through ordinary sized doorways. Is there an easy way of turning down the sensitivity a bit so that the robot can get closer to objects?

Thanks for any help,
Paul

P.S. Has anyone played around with avoiding stairs with the Eddie? I think that mine might fall right down the steps if I don't intervene! Not cool.

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2012-04-16 16:48
    There are no adjustments for sensor sensitivity on the Eddie platform. The control board reports the raw distance information to the PC from both the PING (ultrasonic) distance sensor and the IR distance sensors. Since the Eddie control board firmware is available, you could modify it to scale the raw distance information, but that would not be easy unless you want to learn Propeller programming and experiment with firmware changes.
  • WhyNotScienceWhyNotScience Posts: 10
    edited 2012-04-19 07:55
    Thanks for the info Mike. I wouldn't mind tinkering around with that but at the moment I am just too busy to devote that much time to it. I guess that at the present, I will just have to deal with how the robot responds.

Paul
  • Jessica UelmenJessica Uelmen Posts: 490
    edited 2012-04-20 09:43
    Hey Paul,

If you're running Eddie using the Robot Dashboard, you can adjust the PID controller using the Obstacle Avoidance window. I ran into some of the same issues with Eddie not being able to easily navigate through doorjams. This is only available through Eddie.cmd and not EddieDirect.cmd.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
    Jess