Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Eddie -- Setting AUX Power Ports with RDS4 — Parallax Forums

Eddie -- Setting AUX Power Ports with RDS4

TLCTLC Posts: 74
edited 2012-05-02 08:01 in Robotics
Simple Version: Does anyone know how to set the AUX power ports using RDS4?

Long Version:
I can do it by connecting directly with the serial terminal, but am having a problem with RDS4. The mapping between the ports and the services doesn't seem to correspond. When I look at the service for the ADCPins I see the three IR sensors as well as the battery, but the service has a total of 18 pins, not 8 as I would expect from the 8 channel ADC.

When I look at the GPIO service I only see 10 pins. That corresponds to the results when I use either the ParallaxIO controller service or the GeneralPurposeIOPinArray service. I can set pins 1-10 high and see the corresponding results in the service, but when I try to set any higher pin number (like 16-18 for the AUX ports) I get an error.

I might take off the top deck so that I can get to the headers with a logic probe just to see if I'm actually affecting the state of any of the pins, but that won't really help me get to the AUX ports.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Todd

UPDATE: I took a scope to the I/O pins on the Eddie control board and went pin by pin and tried to update using both the Parallax2011ReferencePlatformIoController service as well as the General Purpose IO Pin Array Service (it is a partner of the Parallax service) and I can't affect the state of ANY pin in the row of I/O headers with any setting to the service. When I look at the service on the DSS node it claims that I am making changes but, unfortunately, I never see a signal pin go high.

I'm beginning to wonder if, despite what the software is telling me, it is actually implemented. I was looking for some USB sniffing software so that I could monitor the commands to the Eddie control board, but the cheapest that I found was $100 and I've already over spent my budget on this project.

Comments

• TLCTLC Posts: 74
    edited 2012-05-01 08:27
    For anyone that wants to access the aux ports using VPL, I talked to Microsoft about this and they supplied a workaround for the problem. You need Visual Studio (Express will probably work) and open up the ParallaxControlBoard.cs file (in the Samples/Platforms/Parallax folder in RDS) Line 32 har a reference to the GPIO pins and the default value is 10. If you change that to 19 and recompile you will be able to access the AUX ports as port 17, 18, and 19. There is a definition for the AUX ports in that C# file but no code. This is sort of a hack, but it works.

Todd
  • dsionovdsionov Posts: 5
    edited 2012-05-02 08:01
    I did a work around by changing the following in the firmware ("Eddie.spin") using the Propeller tool:

DIRA[16]~~
    OUTA[16]~~

Of-course it just turns the pin on permanently but that worked for what I needed.