Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Human-Handed Robot — Parallax Forums

Human-Handed Robot

ercoerco Posts: 20,255
edited 2012-04-10 09:09 in Robotics
I though this was a gag at first, but maybe not. That hand has scars and finger-bitten nails!

"Loathsome, yet I cannot look away..."

Comments

• prof_brainoprof_braino Posts: 4,313
    edited 2012-04-10 07:20
    I remember seeing the "air-muscles" in about 1996(?) when I was working on a similar design, and was bummed that somebody had beaten me to the patent. Eventually the patent will eventually expire, maybe we'll see more of these now.

It's interesting that they showcase sushi being handled, the sushi chef is highly skilled at forming the rice and fish "just so", and this has not been reproduced satisfactorily by machine. Perhaps that's the target they are aiming for, making sushi instead of just handling it.
  • PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2012-04-10 07:39
    I remember seeing the "air-muscles" in about 1996(?) when I was working on a similar design, and was bummed that somebody had beaten me to the patent. Eventually the patent will eventually expire, maybe we'll see more of these now.

It's interesting that they showcase sushi being handled, the sushi chef is highly skilled at forming the rice and fish "just so", and this has not been reproduced satisfactorily by machine. Perhaps that's the target they are aiming for, making sushi instead of just handling it.

Prof,

Guess someone beat you to this patent also? :)

http://www.digitaltrends.com/international/suzumo-sushi-robot-can-roll-3600-pieces-an-hour/
  • prof_brainoprof_braino Posts: 4,313
    edited 2012-04-10 08:58
    SEE???

I'm spot-on, just three month too late! Or three decades too early.

I really have to fine tune my aim!
  • Beau SchwabeBeau Schwabe Posts: 6,558
    edited 2012-04-10 09:09
    Neat! It looks as though OTTO-BOCK still has the market with the 2 finger and thumb hand design. I'd like to see something different under the "cosmetic" hood, but I realize the complexities involved when trying to add articulation.