Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Expo: Better Safe Than Sorry — Parallax Forums

Expo: Better Safe Than Sorry

ercoerco Posts: 20,255
edited 2012-04-11 16:57 in Robotics
Not that I really had time, but I knocked out this little project before Expo. I've been meaning to do it for a while, just never got around to it until now.

Not a Propeller.

Not even a BS2.

OMG, erco is moving backwards. ACK, it's a BS-1 controlled Robotic Safe! Arguably robotic, there's a uC with user input and mechanical output. Heck, it's all for the kids. :)
816 x 612 - 89K

Comments

• Beau SchwabeBeau Schwabe Posts: 6,558
    edited 2012-04-09 20:48
    erco!,,, excellent! I like it.

Question... does the servo move a pin, or does the servo physically use itself as a lock?
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,255
    edited 2012-04-09 22:38
    Thanks. No pin. I clipped a circular servo horn down to a D-shaped disk oriented parallel to the door, which rotates to grab the edge of the door frame.

Not ultra-strong, but useful for demo. I had a wild hair to use a pot as a combination input device and this little $9 safe presented itself.
  • Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2012-04-11 15:51
    Very cool!

I love that you were able to use the original knob to the safe.

I'm going to keep my eyes open for a little safe like that to convert. I had one as a kid. I turned out if someone (my brother) pushed hard enough on the center of the door, the door would fold down the middle (vertically) allowing access to the inside. Maybe I'll skip the toy safe and add a combination lock to my mini-fridge.

I'm just now trying to catch up on robot news, now that I've got my tax stuff turned over to an accountant.
  • ElectricAyeElectricAye Posts: 4,561
    edited 2012-04-11 16:22
    Love it!
    erco wrote: »
    ... Heck, it's all for the kids....

Yeah, that's what I always tell my wife, too. It's easier to justify the cost of my toys that way.
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,255
    edited 2012-04-11 16:57
    Duane Degn wrote: »
    ... now that I've got my tax stuff turned over to an accountant.

I see my tax guy at lunch tomorrow, that sword is still dangling over my head.

That safe was $9 at Amazon, free ship with an order totaling $25...

And now the price has plummeted to $8.81! http://www.amazon.com/Frontier-Safe-Steel-Combination-Black/dp/B000PV0ALI/ref=sr_1_1?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1334188543&sr=1-1

I want my 19 cents back...