Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
What happened to Small Parts? — Parallax Forums

What happened to Small Parts?

Jay KickliterJay Kickliter Posts: 446
edited 2014-03-06 20:17 in General Discussion
I've been receiving their catalog for years, but only ordered a couple things. When I finally want to order from them today, I can't find their site. smallparts.com points to Amazon Supply. Were they bought out, or am I remembering their name completely wrong?

Comments

• LeonLeon Posts: 7,620
    edited 2012-04-08 05:22
    There's a company called Dan's Small Parts that is popular with radio amateurs and that is still around:

http://www.danssmallpartsandkits.net/
  • Invent-O-DocInvent-O-Doc Posts: 768
    edited 2012-04-08 05:36
    Interesting website with cool stuff, Leon. Wow - that web site is way old school HTML circa 1993.
  • average joeaverage joe Posts: 795
    edited 2012-04-08 05:46
    Wow you are right. And I though my site was retro!
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2012-04-08 07:58
    The phone number for Small Parts has been disconnected, so it doesn't look good. BTW, Jay, if you're looking for small fasteners, I use Micro Fasteners, which should only be a one-day UPS drop to your location.

-Phil
  • GordonMcCombGordonMcComb Posts: 3,366
    edited 2012-04-08 08:01
    Amazon bought 'em out a couple of years ago. Also some other industrial supply companies, from what I understand.

-- Gordon
  • SRLMSRLM Posts: 5,045
    edited 2012-04-08 12:14
    Smallparts.com has been owned by Amazon for a few years, but only in the last couple of weeks did they switch over the website. It's still the same as it was before, just with the Amazon logo. As a bonus to Prime members, you can search for the parts on the website, then buy them via Amazon.com for free 2 day shipping.
  • Jay KickliterJay Kickliter Posts: 446
    edited 2012-04-08 14:10
    I have prime, so that's good. The parametric search doesn't seem to be as good as before, but I used their site so little I could be imagining it.

Phil, I'll definitely bookmark that page. Thanks.
  • idbruceidbruce Posts: 6,197
    edited 2012-04-08 14:14
    Jay

Stock Drive Components is also another good place to get small parts. A tad on the pricey side, but they do have some nice stuff. Bruce
  • xanaduxanadu Posts: 3,347
    edited 2012-04-08 15:10
    Was this the site?

http://wayback.archive.org/web/*/http://smallparts.com

It does look cool!
  • rndguysrndguys Posts: 1
    edited 2013-03-08 06:43
    Here is a link where you can download the last full line catalog Small Parts printed. http://smallparts2.com. It was a great resource to have, regardless if you bought from them or not.
  • User NameUser Name Posts: 1,451
    edited 2013-03-08 08:06
    For small nuts and bolts of high quality and low price, I have found no better than albanycountyfasteners.com. They are truly a cut above the norm.

p.s. So did you return from Colorado Springs? How did that go?
  • WarthogWarthog Posts: 1
    edited 2013-05-04 15:33
    SRLM wrote: »
    Smallparts.com has been owned by Amazon for a few years, but only in the last couple of weeks did they switch over the website. It's still the same as it was before, just with the Amazon logo./QUOTE]

I can't agree that it is "just the same as it was before". Amazon/Small Parts has dropped a large number of products that used to be available. I suspect they used the beancounters 80/20 rule (you make 80% of your profits from 20% of your products), and dropped most of that 80%, not realizing that the ability to "one-stop shop" for all sorts of odd things for research is what made Small Parts the success that it was. The "new" creature is a pale shadow of the original. (FWIW, I started buying stuff from Small Parts probably back in the 1980's, and many, many, many of the items I have previously purchased are simply no longer available from them. Almost to the point that I am about to drop them as the first place to look.
  • PJAllenPJAllen Banned Posts: 5,065
    edited 2013-05-04 17:41
    Well, that was over a year ago.
  • MiniTapsMiniTaps Posts: 1
    edited 2013-07-13 14:52
    Tryour sites www.minitaps.com for miniature taps, screws, hex nuts and other miniature fasteners our related site is www.tabcooptical.com with a longer listing of screws and otehr hardware parts not jsu tfor eyewear repair. Steve
  • WhitWhit Posts: 4,191
    edited 2013-07-13 15:00
    PJ Allen wrote: »
    Well, that was over a year ago.

Let's take a ride in the Wayback Machine...

download.jpg
    240 x 160 - 10K
  • markwashamarkwasha Posts: 1
    edited 2014-03-06 15:25
    It is now Component Supply Company. Not almost it, or similar, but really it.

Link:
    http://www.componentsupplycompany.com/
  • RickBRickB Posts: 395
    edited 2014-03-06 20:17
    Not really. It's getting closer, but it's a loooong way from the last Small Parts catalog I have. I hope they have the finances and time to reconstruct the Glory Days.