Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
S2 Robot Hacker Port Information — Parallax Forums

S2 Robot Hacker Port Information

bittelc@ku.edubittelc@ku.edu Posts: 1
edited 2012-04-05 07:46 in Robotics
I am working on creating a SLAM (localizing and mapping) robot out of the Scribbler 2 robot. I am relatively new to programming and am a sophomore at the University of Kansas in mechanical engineering. I have some questions about the S2 hacker port:

1)
Is there anywhere I can find a layout of the pins of the hacker port? Currently, I am under the impression that this information should be obvious to anyone who has any hacking experience, but as I said, I am new. What pins correspond to ground, Vdd, Vss?

Thank you

Comments

• Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2012-04-05 07:46
    The pins closest to the edge of the board are the data pins. The center pin is 5.0V and the final pin is ground. The data pins are connected to a level shifter so they use 5V logic instead of the the 3.3V normal Propeller logic.

The "A0" and "A1" pins are analog inputs.

In my opinion, the level shifter makes the S2 much less hackable. It's very difficult to use a Ping with the S2 because of the level shifter. I like to use nRF24L01+ transceivers with my projects, the level shifter makes interfacing with these transceivers problematic. (I could rant on much longer about my dislike of the level shifters.)

Since my Ping wouldn't work with my S2 (very annoying), I used a MaxBotix ultrasound sensor with my S2. Here's a link to the thread.

I hope you keep us updated with how your project is going.